Kiowa County / Greensburg March 28 - April 3, 2010
Public Information Update
Sunday, March 28, – Saturday, April 3, 2010
YELLOW SHEET DEADLINE
Due to the Easter Holiday, the deadline for the April 4 – 10 Yellow sheet will be at noon on Thursday, April 1st.
KIOWA COUNTY OFFICES CLOSED
In observance of the Easter Holiday, the Kiowa County Offices will be closed on Friday, April 2nd. All offices will resume normal business hours on Monday, April 5th. Happy Easter!
EASTER EGG HUNT
The Lighthouse Worship Center will hold its annual Easter Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 3rd starting at 12:00. We will have games, egg hunt (ages 0-12), lunch and prizes. The event is open to all of Kiowa County.
PARENTS FIRST CLASSES TO BEGIN
The Lighthouse Worship Center is starting a small group for parents called “Parents First.” It is a study by Dr. Richard D. Dobbins focusing on helping parents become their children’s primary sex educator. Some of the topics include (but are not limited to):
- Teach your kids to respect the sacredness of their bodies.
- Help them make sense out of and embrace the sexual rules and guidelines you give them.
- Instruct your children about sexual abuse and have a plan in place to deal with it.
- Talk to your child before he/she gets into an "unsafe" situation.
- Help your child avoid problems with the Web-based porn industry and sexual predators.
- Manage wisely the most commonly asked questions about delicate issues without stumbling for words.
- Explain good sexual stewardship with them (even if you haven't been an angel).
The group meets weekly on Sunday mornings from 9:30 to 10:25 at LWC beginning Sunday, April 4th.
TRACTOR SAFETY TRAINING
The Kiowa County Extension Office in conjunction with Pratt Community College, and Barber, Stafford and Pratt County Extension Offices will be holding their annual Tractor Safety Training on Saturday, April 24, 2010 from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The training will include all class work, exams and driving obstacle course. Certificates of completion will be handed out after driving the obstacle course. Training is available for youth ages 14 and 15 or 13 who will turn 14 before the end of 2010.
Registration is $20 and the deadline to pre-register is April 9th. There is limited space so make sure to register by the deadline!
BIG WELL WISH LIST
We're looking for---
· ID Badges people wore to get into the city
· Those "R" sheets of paper used to identify resident cars or any other similar ID materials that everyone had to have
· Pennants from the high school or Big Well
· *Christmas ornaments given by the Wichita "Parrotheads" to all the kids
· One or more of the thousands of toothbrushes donated . . . or "survival kits" that were donated
· Any of the actual signs that people made and put on their house AND / OR old Big Well signage
· Ticket stubs from the movie (Spiderman 3) the forensics kids saw that night in Salina
If you have any of these items, or anything else that might be included in the new Big Well Museum, please bring it to the Big Well Gift Shop!
Also, we are looking for the owner of a yellow bathtub (picture available at the Big Well Gift Shop). It was found on the Gamble Farm north of Greensburg. Let us know if it's yours!
NEW YORK SAYS THANK YOU FUN RUN
Many of you will remember that in September of 2008 over 300 volunteers from across the country lead by New York Firefighters came to Greensburg to be part of an “American Barn Raising” at the Kiowa County Fairgrounds. This event was possible through the New York Says Thank You Foundation which is founded on the principle of “Paying it Forward” and the United States Emergency Chaplains Corps.
On April 9, 2009 the community of Mena, Arkansas, a small town in the mountains of southwest Arkansas was devastated by a deadly tornado. The tornado took 3 lives and damaged or destroyed hundreds of homes. This 9/11 Anniversary Build is going to be the largest volunteer project yet for New York Says Thank You as we prepare to rebuild a community through constructing 5 homes and rebuilding a 4-H Extension Office. However, the price tag for this endeavor is estimated at $400,000 for materials and program related volunteer expenses.
On Saturday, May 29, 2010, a Fun Run will take place in Greensburg to help raise money for this year’s NYSTY Build. We will have stops at various businesses throughout Greensburg where items will be raffled off or for silent auction. The day will end with a meal and the drawings at the community’s 4-H Fair Grounds and the Triangle Rodeo Club Grounds preceding the 46th Annual Triangle Rodeo Club Rodeo.
As we all know, sometimes it is hard to get away to help at the various locations that these organizations respond to. With this contribution, Greensburg and Kiowa County can be present at the Mena, Arkansas Build. Please help us in our endeavor to help these two organizations as they hold a special place in our hearts and many others throughout the United States.
If you would like your business in the Fun Run, would like to donate items, donate money or generally help out, contact John Stoltenberg, event coordinator, at 620-255-3283
GOING… GOING… GONE!
TO THE ART AUCTION
The 5.4.7 Arts Center will be hosting an Art Auction on Saturday, April 10, 2010. Bid on a wide selection of art from Kansas artists to support 5.4.7 Art Center’s future exhibits and educational opportunities.
Doors open at 6 p.m. to view the artwork and enjoy hors d’oeuvres, wine and beer.
Bidding begins at 7 p.m. The live auction will include a variety of artwork including paintings, ceramics, photography, sculpture, mixed media and more!
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.