Kiowa County/Greensburg 10-29-07 to 10-31-07
Public Information Update
Monday, October 29 – Wednesday, October 31, 2007
PUMPKIN DECORATING CONTEST
A Free Pumpkin Decorating Contest will be held at the Iroquois Center Annex Building on Monday, October 29th. Kindergarten through 2nd grade will be from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 3rd through 5th grades will be from 4:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. All are welcome. Prizes will be given. Please RSVP by calling 620-723-2272.
PRAIRIE POINT GROUND BREAKING
The groundbreaking ceremony for the Prairie Point Townhomes (retirement community) and the Oak View Townhomes (family living) will be held on Friday, November 2nd at 10 a.m. In case of inclement weather, the ceremony will be moved to the practice gym at the school.
LETS BE THANKFUL POTLUCK
A potluck dinner will be held on November 9th from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Iroquois Center Annex Building to “Be Thankful”. Everyone is welcome to attend and asked to bring a dish.
GREENSBURG DAY AT THE MUSEUM!
Sternberg Museum of Natural History will be hosting Greensburg Day on November 17th. Special events are planned all day in the Museum’s Seibel Lobby.
MOVING OUT OF KELLER ESTATES
When residents move out of the FEMA homes in Keller Estates, the City would like residents to notify them so the utilities can be shut off. Without notification, the City will continue to bill the resident for the utilities (water and electric).
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting room located in the northwest gray trailer located southwest of the courthouse square.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
· North Landfill will only accept clean concrete. If the concrete has any metal or other debris mixed then it must go to the South Landfill.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting room, located in trailer D the northwest gray trailer located southwest of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting room, located in the northwest gray trailer located southwest of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Church starts at 10 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Henning at 620-388-0518.
· First Christian Church is meeting at Brown Auction beginning at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the temporary Kiowa County Memorial Hospital each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· JOBS IN GREENSBURG: Greensburg residents are being considered for employment. Those interested can visit the KansasWorks Mobile Center on the square, or by calling Amber or Christina at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
· FEMA positions remain open to residents living within 50 miles of Greensburg and within 50 miles of Wichita. Specialty positions for planning and geographical information systems (GIS) are needed. More information about the open positions, call 620-723-4423 or 601-818-7515 or www.kansasjoblink.com .
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· Salvation Army warehouse is located at 201 S. Jackson St. Hours are Tuesday – Friday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Stop by to pick up food, household items, cleaning supplies and other house wares. For more information, contact Billie Taylor at 620-388-4685. No appointments are necessary.
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located in the Kiowa County Commissioners Building just west of the courthouse. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. Please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering a housing reconstruction assistance program. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) is a grant funded outreach project serving the counties of Kiowa, Edwards, Comanche, Pratt and Stafford. Call 785-313-6123 or 1-866-327-6578 or e-mail email@example.com with questions.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. For more information, call 620-862-5882 or stop by at 201 N. Main St., Haviland.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Come sign-up for volunteer assistance with clean-up and repair or reconstruction.
· UMC Recovery Store hours are Thursday – Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and the 2nd Saturday of each month. The Recovery Store is located at 322 N. Main St. in Haviland. Items such as food, clothing, and bedding are also available. Be prepared to show your storm ID or FEMA number.
· Hudson Oil Company, H.B. Hudson, founder will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank to pick up the application.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
SOUTHWEST KANSAS AREA AGENCY ON AGING
SWKAAA is assisting residents affected by the May tornadoes and flooding in Barton, Kiowa, and Stafford counties. The housing department provides temporary rental assistance and security/utility deposits for up to six months for displaced families. The agency also continues to help residents ages 60 and older affected by those disasters who have unmet needs. The grants can be used for items not covered by FEMA or insurance. Call to see if you qualify, 1-800-742-9531.
· Curfew Hours remain in effect from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m.
· Treat ALL power lines as if they are live. Call 911 if you observe an arcing power line.
· Respiratory protection is recommended for all workers. Dust masks and safety glasses are available at the Health Department on the square.
· Burning is prohibited in the Greensburg city limits. In rural areas, follow county ordinances. Burning is strongly discouraged in high winds.
· Protect yourself with gloves, hard-soled shoes or boots. If you have a cut or scratch that does not heal normally, seek necessary medical attention.