Kiowa County / Greensburg August 28 - September 3, 2011
CHILD PASSENGER SAFETY AWARENESS PROGRAMS
The Kiowa County Safe Kids committee will be hosting a series of awareness programs regarding child passenger safety. Each session will be focused on a specific age group to best meet the learning abilities of the children. Parents are encouraged to attend the training session so they can further discuss the information at home. The sessions are being held free of charge!
* Cub Scout Automotive Patch Program
Who: Children ages 7-10
What: Hands-on educational activities designed to educate families with older children about being safe inside and outside of moving and parked vehicles. There will be ice cream and a raffle during the event.
When: Monday, September 19 at 6:00 pm
Where: Dwane Shank Motors Inc.
*Child Passenger Safety Fun Night
Who: Children ages 2-6
What: Face Painting, Clowns, Baseball, Dancing, a coloring contest and more!
When: Tuesday, September 20 @ 5:00pm
Where: Kiowa County Fair Grounds Red Barn
* Forget Me Not
Who: Parents of Children ages 2-6
What: While the kids are at the barn, parents will participate in a program designed to educate families with younger children about being safe inside and outside of moving and parked vehicles. There will be food provided and a raffle during the event.
When: Tuesday, September 20 @ 5:00pm
Where: Kiowa County Fair Grounds Community Building
* The Safest Generation
Who: 11-12 years olds
What: Hands-on educational activities designed to educate kids about being safe inside and outside of moving and parked vehicles. Additionally, to increase the number of preteens who buckle up in a backseat and give them the tools to encourage peers and family members to do likewise.
There will be pizza and a raffle during the event.
When: Wednesday, September 21 at 5:00 pm
Where: Youth For Christ
* Countdown 2 Drive
Who: 8th graders and their parents
What: Countdown2Drive is a web-based program designed to bring parents and young teens together to talk about the key safety issues teens will face when riding as passengers or as they prepare to drive. There will be pizza and a raffle during the event.
When: Wednesday, September 21 at 6:00 pm
Where: Kiowa County Media Center
LABOR DAY OBSERVATION
In observation of the Labor Day holiday, local, state and federal government offices will be closed on Monday, September 5th.
All offices will resume regular business hours on Tuesday, September 6th.
HOME LUMBER CUSTOMER APPRECIATION
Everyone is invited to attend a free meal at Home Lumber, 715 E. Kansas Ave., for August 30th from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Various vendors will be on hand to discuss and show products that are available.
STARS OF HOPE FOR JOPLIN
The Stars of Hope project began in Greensburg in December 2007 when the New York Says Thank You Foundation came to town with New York and Groesbeck, Texas firefighters to provide words of hope and encouragement while adding color to our community. Since 2007, the Stars of Hope have been placed at each building site for the foundation as well as other natural disasters across the country.
On the 10th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the New York Says Thank You Foundation will be in Joplin, Missouri helping volunteers paint over 3000 Stars of Hope for Joplin. A star will be painted in remembrance of each person killed on September 11, 2001.
The foundation will be in Joplin, September 8 – 11th to paint the stars and hold a special stitching ceremony on the National 9/11 Flag, which also got its start in Greensburg.
If you would like to be part of the Greensburg Pay It Forward group that will be traveling to Joplin contact Matt Deighton, Wylan Fleener or Carmen Stauth.
If you would like to donate gift cards to be provided to citizens of Joplin to help with their recovery efforts, please drop them off at Fleener Furniture, 116 S. Main in Greensburg.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
· The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komotara Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Historical Society meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Conference Room.
· The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Building. Please contact Jan West at 723-3181 for more information.
· The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Commons Conference room or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
· The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please call 723-2272 for more information.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
· Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.