Public Information Update
Sunday, April 19, 2009 – Saturday, April 25, 2009
The Kiowa County Commissioner’s Meeting of Monday, April 20th is changed to Tuesday, April 21st. It will be the same time and location, 9:00 am at the Kiowa County Conference Building (meeting trailer).
ARBOR DAY CELEBRATION
An Arbor Day Celebration will be held on Friday, April 24th at 11 a.m. at the Courthouse Gazebo in Greensburg. Everyone is invited to attend.
GREEENSBURG ALUMNI PICNIC
The GHS Alumni Picnic will be at noon, on Saturday, May 23rd, at Davis Park. All GHS Alums who sign in at the registration table, will be given a ticket to present to Tina & Jay White, at their concession stand - and their lunch will be paid for by an anonymous GHS Alum. For more information - contact Susan Tucker McGuire (GHS 1963) at firstname.lastname@example.org Bring a lawnchair, or a blanket, and spend the afternoon visiting with classmates, friends, family.
ARBORETUM TO BE ESTABLISHED
The Kiowa County Commission has agreed to establish the Kiowa County Arboretum on the new Fairgrounds. The trees to be planted in the arboretum have been selected by the Greensburg Tree Board in conjunction with the Kansas Forest Service. The Arboretum will be planted along the walking path that was proposed in the design of the new fairgrounds in the Long Term Recovery Plan.
The Greensburg Tree Board and the Kiowa County Master Gardeners along with 14 students from Fort Hays State University will begin planting the first 80 trees at 9 a.m. on Friday, April 24th. The planting will be finished on Saturday, April 25th. We are asking anyone interested in helping to meet at the fairgrounds.
TRACTOR SAFETY TRAINING
The Kiowa County Extension is co-hosting 2 Tractor Safety Trainings for youth 13 to 15 years of age. The training will be held on May 2 at Dodge City Community College.
Please contact the office at 723-2156 for details and to register for a session.
2nd ANNUAL CANNONBALL GOLF TOURNAMENT
The 2nd Annual 4-man Scramble will be held on Saturday, May 2nd with a shotgun start at 9 a.m. Eighteen teams will be allowed to enter with a $160 per team registration. Lunch will be provided. Prizes will be awarded to the 1st, 2nd & 3rd teams.
Contact Mick Kendall at 620-546-3584 or Brandon Hosheit at 620-770-1119 to register or for more information. All proceeds will go towards Golf Course improvements!!!
CUB SCOUTS INFORMATIONAL MEETING
Boys in grades 1 – 6 and their parents are invited to a Hot Dog BBQ, games and informational session regarding the Kiowa County Cub Scouts on Friday, April 24th from 6 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Fishing Lake.
For more information, contact Bob Wedel at 620-546-4976 or Ruth Anne Wedel at 620-408-8565.
MERITRUST TO BRING TREES
Meritrust Bank, formerly BWCU, will be in Greensburg on May 2nd to provide 100 free trees to residents within the city limits of Greensburg who lost their homes due to the May 2007 tornado. This will be the third time the bank has come to Kiowa County to provide trees.
If you would like to sign up for a tree, please contact the Extension Office at 620-723-2156.
COMMUNITY POT LUCK DINNER
A Community Pot Luck Dinner will be Friday, April 24 from 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. at the Iroquois Center Coffee House in the maintenance building behind the Iroquois Center for Human Development, Inc. at 610 East Grant in Greensburg. Area residents are encouraged to bring a covered dish and enjoy lunch with their friends and neighbors. Utensils, coffee, and tea will be furnished.
INCUBATOR GRAND OPENING – Time Change
The Grand Opening of the Sun Chips Business Incubator will be held at 1:00 p.m. on Friday, April 24th. The CBS Early Show will be there to help celebrate the Big Event!
SCREENING OF GREENSBURG, SEASON 2
Planet Green would like to invite all residents to a Sneak Peak of the premiere episode of season 2 of GREENSBURG on Thursday, April 23rd at 6 p.m. at the Greensburg School Gymnasium. Sandwiches and light refreshments will be served at 6:00 p.m. with the screening beginning at 6:30 p.m.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH DEDICATION
The First Baptist Church of Greensburg, KS will have a dedication service at 10:45 am May 3, 2009 with an open house from 1-3 pm, all are welcome to come and tour our new worship center.
GreenTown will be hosting a community supper on Saturday, May 2nd. There will be a presentation of the 1st Annual Green Initiative Awards to individuals, businesses and others who have made contributed to the green rebuilding effort. We hope you can join us.
HOST FAMILIES NEEDED
A group from the U.S. Green Building Council, Kansas City Chapter will be coming to Greensburg May 1-2 to help out during the 2nd anniversary weekend. GreenTown is looking for local families who would be willing to host the visitors. Please call the GreenTown Office at 620-723-2790 if you would be willing to house a guest. Thanks!
GREENSBURG ALUMNI BANQUET
The GHS Alumni Banquet will be at 6 p.m. on Saturday, May 23, 2009 at the gym. Tickets are $12.50 and can be purchased at Greensburg State Bank. The deadline is May 15, 2009. To order tickets by mail, send check and self-addressed stamped envelope to Tom Corns, GHS Alumni, 240 S. Main, Greensburg, KS 67054.
2ND ANNIVERSARY SCHEDULE
Please notify Greensburg City Hall if your organization is planning an event for the weekend of May 1st – 3rd. We are trying to create a coordinated schedule so all events can be publicized and well attended.
5.4.7 ARTS CENTER
Hours: Monday-Friday 2-6pm, Weekends open as volunteers are available. For more information or to volunteer, please contact Stacy at 723.2600 or email@example.com.
Please visit our website at: www.547artscenter.org
Green Resource at Your Fingertips
Greensburg GreenTown invites Kiowa County residents to visit their website, where they report on all things green: www.greensburggreentown.org
The site is updated regularly, and we invite your interaction.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas,Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· First Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at Volunteer Village (green building behind the hospital) each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
KIOWA COUNTY LIBRARY
· Location:112 N. Main
· Phone: 620-862-5350
· Hours: 9:30 a.m.-5p.m. Monday-Friday.
· Location: 115 N. Main
· Phone: 620-548-2630
· Hours: 2-6 p.m. Monday-Friday.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Offices are located on the square.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse.
· Long Term Recovery is located in the gray trailer west of the courthouse (205 S. Oak).
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located at 219 S. Oak.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org
check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays when needed at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak. Check with City Hall for upcoming meeting dates.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.