Kiowa County/Greensburg Update 6-29-07 through 7-1-07
Public Information Update
Friday, June 29 – Sunday, July 1
BUILDING MORATORIUM AMENDED
The City council voted June 21st to extend the building moratorium for the Highway 54 corridor and the downtown district for two weeks to allow KDOT and the Downtown Design Team to submit plans.
SOUTHCENTRAL KANSAS TORNADO RECOVERY ORGANIZATION
The South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. The office is located at 201 N. Main, Haviland. Please call 620-862-5882 for more information.
KIOWA COUNTY FAIR SCHEDULED
The Kiowa County Fair will be held July 16-17. The Horse Show will be held on July 14th. Contact the Extension Office at 620-723-2156 for more information.
Meals for volunteers and residents are offered at:
· Lighthouse Worship Center, 804 W. Wisconsin, will serve hot meals from 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. Monday through Saturday. The Lighthouse Worship Center will stop serving meals on Friday, June 29th. Beverages are available throughout the day.
· Methodist Church, 600 W. Lincoln. Lunch is from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. and dinner is from 5 – 7 p.m. Snacks are provided throughout the day. The Methodist Church will stop serving meals on Tuesday, July 3rd.
MEALS FOR SALE
· Cannonball Catering and WB’s Bulk Food began selling lunches just east of Davis Park on Thursday, June 27th.
· Kansas Restaurant will be selling meals around July 5th.
4th OF JULY CELEBRATION PLANNED
Greensburg will be hosting a Community Celebration on July 4th at Davis Park. Free t-shirts marking the event will be provided to Greensburg residents. Area re
· Games and recorded music will begin the festivities around 3 p.m.
· Local entertainment will begin at 4 p.m.
· Walter Alias, a cinematic rock band, will begin playing at 5 p.m.
· The North Carolina Style Pig Picking provided free by PigMasters will be serving from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
· The Greensburg High School Time Capsule will be opened at 7 p.m.
· Kirby Kelly the Delta Blues Guitarist from Dallas will take stage at 7:30 p.m.
· Recognition of sponsors will begin at 8:45 p.m.
· Retroactive, Styxx, Journey, and Foreigner cover band, will begin playing at 9:15 p.m.
· The evening festivities will conclude with a fireworks display around 10 p.m.
BUSINESS RESTORATION PROGRAM AND PROJECT SALES TAX EXEMPTION
Applications are available at Brown Auction and BTI-Greensburg. If you have questions call (785) 296-3070 or www.ksrevenue.org. Applications are due to the Kansas Department of Revenue (KDOR) by July 30.
The City is reviewing properties that have not been cleared of debris to determine “Immediate Hazards” and may begin taking action on such properties.
Property owners willing to release the City and allow crews to enter properties for debris removal need to visit City Hall and sign a “Right of Entry” form. Property owners who sign the form will not have costs assessed to their properties.
· Safety Tips
Protect yourself with gloves, hard-soled shoes or boots and respiratory masks as necessary. If you have a cut or scratch that does not heal normally, seek necessary medical attention.
· Debris Removal
Help speed up debris removal by placing it in the right of way. Keep debris at least three feet from utility poles, fire hydrants and water and gas meters.
· Hazardous Waste
Separate hazardous waste and “white goods”, such as batteries, paint, propane, pesticides, refrigerator, etc., from other debris. Businesses needing to dispose of tornado-damaged hazardous materials must call KDHE at 785-296-1679. Never handle damaged or leaking containers that might be hazardous. Call KDHE at 785-296-1679 or call 911.
FRAUD TASK FORCE
The Greensburg Fraud Task Force will investigate and prosecute any thefts of federal disaster relief funds. Call
1-800-KS-CRIME with tips.
· C & D LANDFILL. Monday through Saturday 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
· SOUTH LANDFILL Tuesday – Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The South Landfill is closed Mondays.
The landfill is open to the public at no charge.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines. Contractors are responsible for meals for their crews.
· Asbestos abatement contractors must be KDHE licensed. Call Scott at 785-296-1689 with questions.
· Structural engineer inspection is required before obtaining a building permit to rebuild a home or business. Call the Greensburg Building and Codes Office at 620-723-4109 with questions.
· Building Permit Applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located at Mullinville High School. Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. Offices will be closed July 4th – 6th.
· Health Department and Extension Offices are on the square. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. Offices will be closed July 4th.
In-state volunteers must call 211 and out-of-state volunteers must call 1-888-413-4327 prior to arrival. AmeriCorps is organizing groups wishing to volunteer, please call 314-313-4779. Volunteers must dress appropriately for hazardous working conditions.
Greensburg & Kiowa County residents needing volunteer labor assistance can contact AmeriCorps at Davis Park.
KANSAS GAS SERVICE
KGS is purging natural gas lines in Greensburg. Crews will block off a one-block area at a time. A rotten egg odor may be noticed in the area being purged. People are asked to avoid KGS-blocked areas and to not smoke, operate vehicles or machinery in the area while work is in progress. For information, call 1-888-482-4950.
· JOBS IN GREENSBURG: Greensburg residents are being considered for employment such as administrative assistance, general labor, and other positions. Those interested can visit the KansasWorks Mobile Center on the square, or by calling Kandy or Christine at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 9a.m. to 1 p.m. Health benefits will be offered as of July 1.
· FEMA positions remain open to residents living 50 miles or less from the city of Greensburg and within 50 miles of Wichita. Specialty positions for planning and geographical information systems (GIS) are needed. More information about the open positions, call 620-723-4423 or 601-818-7515 or www.kansasjoblink.com.
GREENSBURG CITY HALL
· City Hall Hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. Offices will be closed on July 4th.
· Lost and Found Station has been set up at City Hall. New items are arriving daily.
· City Council meetings are held Mondays at 5:00 p.m. in the yellow and white tent on the square.
· Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 5:00 p.m. in the yellow and white tent on the square.
· Water Service Testing continues and more water lines are being charged daily. Contact City Hall at 620-723-2751 for information or to report leaks.
· 6,944 registered volunteers have contributed 53,277 hours to date.
· Workers have hauled 316,365 cubic yards of debris requiring 34,095 truck loads. The debris removal process is approximately 90 percent complete.
Residents can view and inspect a FEMA travel trailer and manufactured home between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Saturday at the west entrance to Davis Park. They are closed on Sundays. A FEMA specialist will be on hand to answer questions during regular hours.
· Curfew Hours remain in effect from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m.
· Treat ALL power lines as if they are live. Call 911 if you observe an arcing power line.
· Leave room for emergency and military vehicles when parking.
· Take frequent breaks and drink plenty of water. Seek immediate medical attention if you feel dizzy, nauseated or experience vomiting.
· Never enter any building that appears unsafe.
· Respiratory protection is recommended for all workers. Dust masks and safety glasses are available at the Health Department on the square.
· Burning is prohibited in the Greensburg city limits. In rural areas, follow county ordinances. Burning is strongly discouraged in high winds.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· Disaster Recovery Centers in Greensburg and Haviland are open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday. FEMA will no longer be located at the Haviland Disaster Recovery Center after June 30th.
· FEMA and SBA are located on the square. Hours are Monday through Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. FEMA can be reached at 1-800-621-FEMA or www.fema.gov.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering a housing reconstruction assistance program. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas All Hazards Behavioral Health is offering crisis counseling for those dealing with the emotional affects of the tornado. Please call 1-800-575-2038 to schedule an appointment.
· Salvation Army is offering disaster social services at the Barclay College Gymnasium. Hours are Tuesday-Friday 11a.m. – 6p.m. and Saturday 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. They are closed on Sunday and Mondays. For more information call 620-388-4684.
· USDA Rural Development has grants and low interest loans for rebuilding community facilities, business development and housing. Renewable energy assistance for businesses, agricultural producers and individuals is also available. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. Please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information. Office location is in City Hall on the square.