Kiowa County/Greensburg Update 8-30-07 to 9-4-07
Public Information Update
Thursday, August 30 – Monday, September 3, 2007
The period of free debris removal ended several weeks ago. Residents should not be piling debris on city right-of-ways. Instead, the landowner/demolition contractor is responsible for hauling debris to the Kiowa County Landfill.
The Greensburg City Government encourages all property owners to maintain their lots. Property owners have until September 7th to mow their lots.
After the 7th, the city will begin maintaining properties at a rate of $200 per hour, with a 2 hour minimum. Property owners will be responsible for paying this fee or it will be assessed to your taxes.
FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH REVIVAL
The First Baptist Church will be holding a Revival September 9th – 12th. Services will be held Sunday morning at 10:50 a.m. and nightly at 7:00 p.m. Dennis George will be preaching. The revival will be held at the Ted Kyle’s farmstead. If you have questions, please call 723-2747.
COMMODITY FOOD DISTRIBUTION
Government surplus commodities will be distributed in Greensburg at 211 E. Florida (County Attorney’s Trailer) on Wednesday, September 12th from 1 – 3 p.m.
To be eligible for commodities, your household total monthly income must be below:
Household of 1: $1,107 Household of 2: $1,484
Household of 3: $1,861 Household of 4: $2,238
Household of 5: $2,615 Household of 6: $2,992
Household of 7: $3,369 Household of 8: $3,746
For each additional family member add: $377.00.
FIEST PHONE BOOKS
Fiest Publications have left a number of phone books at the city office. If you need a phone book, please stop by to pick one up.
MEALS FOR SALE
· Cannonball Catering and WB’s Bulk Food is selling lunches just east of Davis Park, 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday, Thursday, and Friday. Serving breakfast 6:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. The Carport Café will be closed on Monday, September 3rd to observe Labor Day.
· Kansan Restaurant is serving lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday - Saturday at the original restaurant location.
· JD’s BBQ will be serving meals on Tuesdays and Wednesdays each week at the intersection of Bay and Hwy 54. Lunch will be served from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
PROPERTY VAULATION REVIEW
Due to the extensive damage by the May tornadoes, staff from the Kiowa County Appraiser’s office and Kansas Property Valuation Division, will be inspecting all residential and rural properties throughout the county beginning August 20th. The appraisal staff will carry identification and the sheriffs department will have their names, vehicle descriptions, and tag numbers on file.
Current damage affecting the property’s market value as of January 1, 2008, will be reflected in the 2008 appraised values and the 2008 taxes. Property taxes due in December 2007 will be based on the property as it existed on January 1, 2007.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Closed Monday, September 3rd for Labor Day.
· County Commission meetings are held at 9:00 a.m. in the gray trailers directly west of the courthouse. Due to the holiday, the County Commission will meet on Tuesday, September 4th.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris. The landfill will be closed Saturday, September 1 through Monday, September 3 for Labor Day.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. City Hall will be closed Monday, September 3rd for Labor Day.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 4th due to the Labor Day holiday. The meeting will begin at 5:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Commissioners Meeting room, located in the gray trailer directly west of the courthouse.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the yellow and white tent on the square.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Church starts at 10 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln at 9:30 a.m.
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting at 803 S. Spruce, Greensburg at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Henning at 620-388-0518.
· First Christian Church is meeting at Brown Auction beginning at 10:30 a.m. A guest speaker leads the service each Sunday.
· JOBS IN GREENSBURG: Greensburg residents are being considered for employment. Those interested can visit the KansasWorks Mobile Center on the square, or by calling Kandy or Christine at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday 9a.m. to 1 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
· FEMA positions remain open to residents living within 50 miles of Greensburg and within 50 miles of Wichita. Specialty positions for planning and geographical information systems (GIS) are needed. More information about the open positions, call 620-723-4423 or 601-818-7515 or www.kansasjoblink.com .
· Looking for Work? Needing employees? Log onto www.kansasjoblink.com . All types of positions are currently available. We can also post your job listing. Stop by the KansasWorks Mobile Unit, located on the square, or call Vicky at 620-723-2030 or 620-255-3705.
· Greensburg Recreation Commission is looking to hire a Recreation Director. Duties include but are not limited to: year-round athletic and recreational programming for all ages, basic bookkeeping, several meetings per month, and upkeep of equipment and facilities. Salary commensurate of experience. Position will remain open until filled with a qualified applicant. Interested persons should send a letter of interest and resume to: Greensburg Recreation Commission, 132 S. Main, Greensburg, KS 67054. For questions, call Jay at 620-255-9229 or Kim at 620-546-4504.
SRS OFFICE REOPENED
The Greensburg SRS office opened Monday, August 20, 2007 in a temporary facility located adjacent to the Iroquois Center at 608 E. Grant St., Greensburg. Office hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. For more information, please call the office at 620-723-3321.
FRAUD TASK FORCE
The Greensburg Fraud Task Force will investigate and prosecute any thefts of federal disaster relief funds. Call
1-800-KS-CRIME with tips.
· Curfew Hours remain in effect from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m.
· Treat ALL power lines as if they are live. Call 911 if you observe an arcing power line.
· Take frequent breaks and drink plenty of water. Seek immediate medical attention if you feel dizzy, nauseated or experience vomiting.
· Never handle damaged or leaking containers that might be hazardous. Call KDHE at 785-296-2679 or call 911.
· Respiratory protection is recommended for all workers. Dust masks and safety glasses are available at the Health Department on the square.
· Burning is prohibited in the Greensburg city limits. In rural areas, follow county ordinances. Burning is strongly discouraged in high winds.
· Protect yourself with gloves, hard-soled shoes or boots. If you have a cut or scratch that does not heal normally, seek necessary medical attention.
· Businesses needing to dispose of hazardous materials must call KDHE at 785-296-2679.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· A structural engineer inspection is required before obtaining a building permit to rebuild a home or business. Call the Building and Codes Office at 620-723-4109 with questions.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· Salvation Army warehouse is located at 201 S. Jackson St. Hours are Tuesday – Friday 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., Saturdays 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Stop by to pick up food, household items, cleaning supplies and other house wares. For more information, contact Billie Taylor at 620-388-4685. No appointments are necessary. Please stop by.
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located in the Kiowa County Commissioners Building just west of the courthouse. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. Please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering a housing reconstruction assistance program. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) is a grant funded outreach project serving the counties of Kiowa, Edwards, Comanche, Pratt and Stafford. Call 785-313-6123 or 1-866-327-6578 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. For more information, call 620-862-5882 or stop by at 201 N. Main St., Haviland.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Thursday – Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and the 2nd Saturday of each month. Come sign up for volunteer assistance with clean-up, repair, or reconstruction. Items such as food, clothing, and bedding are also available. Be prepared to show your storm ID or FEMA number.
There is a group operating in Kansas conducting asphalt scams. They offer to seal or repave asphalt with leftover material from another job at a reduced price. After the work is done they charge an inflated price and pressure for immediate payment.
Because of the notoriety and devastation in Greensburg, they may be attracted to the community. Be very cautious of anyone soliciting this type of work.
If anyone approaches you wanting to do any type of asphalt work, contact the Kiowa County Sheriff at 620-723-2182 or 911. The Sheriff’s Department will check out the contractor to insure they are legitimate.