Kiowa County / Greensburg November 28 - December 4, 2010
Public Information Update
Sunday, November 28, – Saturday, December 4, 2010
CHRISTMAS ON OLIVE STREET
The 2010 Greensburg Christmas Home Tour will be held on December 12, 2010 from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m.
John Adolph and Marsha Klein
Rick and Rhonda Engelken
Stan and Jackie Roberston
Greg and Lisa Waters
Buttons are on sale at most Kiowa County Merchants and at the homes the day of the tour. $7 per person, $5 for Seniors (65 and up) Proceeds to be donated to the Twilight Theater Rebuilding Fund.
3rd Annual FCA (Fellowship of Christian Athletes) Soup Supper
Sunday, December 5th
Kiowa County School Cafeteria
Immediately following the lighted Christmas parade
Come out and support the KCHS FCA! Free will donations.
Chili ~ Potato Soup ~ Chicken & Noodle Soup ~ Green Bean & Dumpling Soup ~ Dessert
Contact Heather or Travis Powell for more information or for donations.
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS
(Arts & Crafts or home business)
Sunday, December 5th, 1-5pm
Rec Gym in Greensburg
Please contact Heather Powell for more information or to secure a booth. 620-253-6164 or firstname.lastname@example.org
LETTERS TO SANTA
The Greensburg Post Office will be accepting letters to Santa this Christmas season. Every letter mailed by December 14th will receive a personalized reply from Sant at the North Pole. All Letters to Santa must bear appropriate First Class postage, and must be presented for mailing at the retail counter during regular business hours.
ART EXHIBIT AT 5.4.7 ARTS CENTER
Mimesis, paintings and printmaking, by Clinton Marstall will be on display at the 5.4.7 Arts Center from December 1, 2010 through January 7, 2011.
An artist talk and reception will be held on Saturday, December 4th at 6 p.m. with refreshments.
BUSINESSES OPEN HOUSE
Business Open House December 4th 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and December 5th 12 p.m. 6 p.m. Visit your participating local businesses for refreshments, door prizes, and holiday specials.
KCHS DRAMA CLASS PRESENTS
The KCHS Drama Class will be presenting “The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon on Thursday, December 2nd at 7:30 p.m. at the Mullinville School Auditorium.
Tickets for the show are $4.00 and must be purchased ahead of time. As there is limited seating (270 seats), no tickets will be sold the night of the performance! Call the Kiowa County High School (620-723-2164) or contact one of the drama students to purchase your tickets as soon as possible.
Come out and support the performing arts program for the Kiowa County High School!
ARTS CENTER OPEN HOUSE
The 5.4.7 Arts Center, located at 204 W. Wisconsin, will be hosting an Open House on Saturday, December 4th and Sunday, December 5th from 1 – 4 p.m. Come by and see the exhibit, have some refreshments and let the kids do a fun art project while there!
CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS ROOM
Do you have left over paint, plywood or other building materials? Are you trying to get rid of these leftover materials but don’t know what to do with them?
Drop off your leftover construction materials at the Recycling Center in the Construction Materials Room!
If you are starting a project and would like some paint or building materials, feel free to pick some up for free from the Construction Materials Room.
If you would like help getting your materials to the Recycling Center, please call GreenTown at 620-723-2790. We will be picking up materials on Wednesday, December 1 between 9 a.m. and 12 p.m. Please let us know if you will be leaving it on the curb or if we will need to get it our of your garage or basement.
WHOOPING COUGH (Pertussis)
Whooping cough seems to be back!!!
Infants not yet vaccinated and Adults are most likely to get this. We have had infants dying from this disease already this fall.
So adults, if you are going to be around infants, it is your responsibility to get this Tdap (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) shot, so that you could not pass this on to an infant that does not have their vaccinations yet. Also it can very serious for adults if you get this disease.
Call for your appointment to get this vaccination today. Kiowa County Health Dept. 620-723-2136
ART CLASSES AT 5.4.7 ARTS CENTER
Papermaking/Handmade Holiday Cards –
In this 2 session class you will recycle old paper to make new handmade papers. In the 2nd session we will use our new paper to make handmade holiday cards. Start saving used paper (newspapers, school paper, tissue paper, etc.) and bring it with you to recycle. We will also need some old pantyhose and items to add to your papers such as leaves, petals, fruit rinds, glitter or food coloring. Please plan to attend both sessions to get the most out of this workshop!
$15 per person
Wednesday, Dec. 1 / Dec. 8 from 6:30 – 8 p.m.
For more information or to register for thaeclasses, please contact Stacy Barnes at 620-723-2600 or e-mail her at email@example.com.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is meeting at their facility located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Wellsford Community Church is meeting at the church in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.