Kiowa County / Greensburg July 24-30, 2011
KIOWA COUNTY FAIR SCHEDULE
Monday, July 25
(Fairgrounds Community Building)
7:00 p.m. Public Style Review
King & Queen Contest
Wednesday, July 27
(Kiowa County Fairgrounds)
8:00 a.m. – Noon Livestock Weigh – In
8:00 a.m. – Noon Building Exhibit Check In
1:00 – 5:00 p.m. Building Project Judging (Building Closed)
2:00 p.m. Hand Pet Show (Dog/Cat)
3:00 p.m. Rabbit & Poultry Show
5:00 p.m. Food Sale
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Meal sponsored by
7:30 p.m. Hog & Beef Show
Thursday, July 28
8:00 a.m. Horse Show (Triangle Rodeo Club Arena)
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Super Cow/Calf Weigh-in
2:00 p.m. Demonstration/Public Speaking Contest
4:00 p.m. Livestock Judging Contest
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Meal sponsored by Heft & Sons LLC; Ice Cream Social sponsored by Peoples Insurance
7:00 p.m. Horse Show Speed Events & Rough Stock Rodeo Events
Friday, July 29
(Kiowa County Fairgrounds)
8:00 a.m. Sheep & Goat Show
11:00 a.m. Round Robin Contest
2:00 p.m. Super Cow/Calf Contest
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Meal sponsored by Heft & Sons, LLC
7:30 p.m. ATV Rodeo (Triangle Rodeo Club Arena)
Saturday, July 30
(Kiowa County Fairgrounds)
9:00 a.m. Pedal Pull
11:00 a.m. Turtle Race
1:00 p.m. Tractor Pull
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. BBQ sponsored by Farmer’s Cooperative, Southern Plains COOP, ADM Grain, RCA, Haviland State Bank, Greensburg State Bank, Centera Bank, Peoples Bank, and Mullinville State Bank
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Watermelon Feed sponsored by Kiowa County Farm Bureau
7:15 p.m. Costumed Pet Parade
7:30 p.m. 4-H Livestock Auction
8:00 p.m. Jared Daniels Band Concert
Come and Enjoy the Fair!
SAVE THE DATE
The Community Block Party is scheduled for Saturday, August 20th from 4 – 10 p.m. at the First Baptist Church. More details to follow!
GREENSBURG RECREATION EVENTS
· 8 Man Youth Football: It’s time to sign up for the youth football season. Age Groups 3rd & 4th and 5th and 6th. Fee $25 per participant. Registration Deadline is July 29th. NO LATE REGISTRATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED! Equipment will be checked out to youth on August 2nd at the Rec. Gym: 3rd & 4th from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m., 5th & 6th from 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
· Youth Girls Volleyball: The Rec is getting together teams for 3rd & 4th and 5th & 6th volleyball teams to play in Dodge City on Saturday mornings. Registration deadline is August 19th. Games will start in September!
· Back to School Swim Trip: The Rec will be taking its Annual Back to School Swim Trip to Salt Lake City Splash in Hutchinson, KS on Monday, July 25th. $5 per kid. Depart at 10 a.m. and Return at 5:30 p.m. Remember to bring a sack lunch, towel and concession stand money (optional). Children 8 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
· NFL Punt, Pass & Kick Contest will be held on Monday, August 15th for boys and girls ages 8 to 15 years (as of 12/31/2011) on the Greensburg practice football field. Time to be announced.
· New Gym hours: Monday – Friday 11 a.m. 0 8 p.m., Only open every other weekend: Saturday, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. and Sunday 1 – 5 p.m.
CALLING ALL KIDS FOR ART CLASSES
Summer 2011 Art Classes at the 5.4.7 Arts Center will be held every Monday and Wednesday from 3 to 4:30 p.m. through August 10th.
· August 1st & 3rd Junkyard Sculpture
The name says it all! Using recycled objects we’ll create awesome sculptures. Bring more items from home to use, anything goes!
· August 8th & 10th Still Life Drawing
We will learn the basics of drawing, composition, and shading.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
· The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komatera Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Historical Society meets the third Thursday of each month at 6:30 pm in the 5.4.7 Arts Center (204 W. Wisconsin) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held at the County Fairgrounds Community Building on north Bay Street, Greensburg. Meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m. Please contact Jan West at 723-3181 for more information.
· The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Haviland Branch Library (112 N. Main), or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
· The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please call 723-2272 for more information.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
· Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.