Kiowa County / Greensburg May 29 - June 4, 2011
Public Information Update
Sunday, May 29, – Saturday, June 4, 2011
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
For all children Kindergarten thru 8th grade
At Bethel Mennonite Church
Tuesday, May 31st thru Saturday, June 4th
8:30am - 11:30am
Transportation is available.
Please call Garth and Lisa Goossen at 620-723-2018 to register or line up transportation.
The 5.4.7 Arts Center Gallery is pleased to present “Distance Learning Drawings by Gerard Brown,” from May 16th – June 19th. An Artist Talk will be held on June 2nd at 7 p.m.
Using letters and images drawn from the archives of the Kansas Historical Society, this exhibit explores how much one can learn about a far away place in this interconnected age.
Gerard Brown is a painter and write in Philadelphia, PA. He is currently an Assistant Professor and Chair of the Foundation Department at Tyler School of Art at Temple University.
2ND ANNUAL BEER TASTING
The 5.4.7 Arts Center is presenting the 2nd Annual Beer Tasting on June 11th at 7 p.m.
Come enjoy live music, great food, a variety of beers, artwork raffle and take home a 5.4.7 pint glass.
Tickets are $20 for members and $25 for non-members. Tickets must be purchased before the start of the event.
Contact Stacy at the 5.4.7 Arts Center 620-723-2600 or e-mail email@example.com to purchase your tickets.
KIOWA COUNTY LOVES JOPLIN
The Kiowa County Ministerial Alliance is going to be taking a group of volunteers to Joplin, MO to assist with clean up.
We have room for people who would like to come and trucks and trailers to move gear. Please think about joining us.
If you would like to loan equipment or make donations here are things that are needed.
Sawzall (reciprocating saws)
Money (All money will be given to local non-profits)
We will be going Monday, June 13th through Friday, June 17th. We will leave Monday at 6:00 am from First Baptist Church. We will be returning late Friday night. (If you need to be back sooner, we will try to work with you. If you can stay later, we will try and see about that as well.)
You will need to bring a bed roll as we will be sleeping on the floor of a local church. (They have showers).
Remember it is summer in Missouri and the Heat & Humidity will be high.
If you would like to be apart of the KCMA care group, please contact TJ Lawson at 620-770-6026 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
CALLING ALL KIDS FOR ART CLASSES
Summer 2011 Art Classes at the 5.4.7 Arts Center will be held every Monday and Wednesday from 3 to 4:30 p.m. beginning June 13th and ending August 10th.
June 13th & 15th Shadow Drawings
We will go outside and use shadows to make abstract drawings and learn about positive and negative space.
June 20th & 22nd Mono-printing
Using aluminum foil and paint, we’ll learn the basics of printmaking.
June 27th & 29th Press Molded Clay Pots
Use clay and plaster molds to shape a bowl, plate, tray or other pot.
No Classes the week of July 4th
July 11th & 13th Artist Themed Workshop
Piet Mondrian Inspired Watercolors - Using Mondrain’s abstract art as inspiration, we’ll create watercolor paintings using geometric shapes.
July 18th & 20th Coil Built Pots
Using nature and Georgia O’Keeffe’s artwork as our inspiration, we”ll create wonderful works of art.
August 1st & 3rd Junkyard Sculpture
The name says it all! Using recycled objects we’ll create awesome sculptures. Bring more items from home to use, anything goes!
August 8th & 10th Still Life Drawing
We will learn the basics of drawing, composition, and shading.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
• All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
• County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
• County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
• South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
• Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
• Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
• Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
• First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
• First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
• Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
• Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
• Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
• Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
• Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
• St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
• Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
• City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
• City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
• City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
• Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
• Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
• Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
• Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
• City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
• City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
• The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komatera Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
• The Kiowa County Historical Society meets the third Thursday of each month at 6:30 pm in the 5.4.7 Arts Center (204 W. Wisconsin) in Greensburg.
• The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held at the County Fairgrounds Community Building on north Bay Street, Greensburg. Meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m. Please contact Jan West at 723-3181 for more information.
• The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Haviland Branch Library (112 N. Main), or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.