Kiowa County / Greensburg May 1 - 7, 2011
ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND APRIL 29 – MAY 1, 2011
Friday, April 29:
· 9:00 a.m. Prayer and dedication to mark the GRAND RE-OPENING of the Care-N-Share, the first store rebuilt on Main Street after the storm. New hours, new prices, new store – come and see us! Open 9-5 on Friday.
· 3:00 p.m. Invitational High School Track Meet at Kiowa County Schools (710 South Main St.)
Saturday, April 30:
The Greensburg downtown business community will offer special sales, refreshments, demonstrations and music. (First two blocks of Main Street)
· 9:00 a.m. Bike Ride (longer route) hosted by the Oz Bicycle Club of Wichita and GreenTown. This is one of two rides, with a short in-town ride at 1:30 p.m. (see below) The longer route will include a visit to the Greensburg Wind Farm (road conditions permitting). Meet at GreenTown’s Silo Eco-Home (402 South Sycamore St.).
· 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Big Well Gift Shop open (inside the Business Incubator, corner of Main St. and Highway 54)
· 9:30 a.m Brown Auction (900 East Kansas Ave.) will host an antiques auction, featuring pottery, furniture, primitives, glassware, china and much more.
· 10 a.m. - 4 p.m. Open House at Greensburg GreenTown’s Silo Eco-Home (402 South Sycamore Street): refreshments, tours of the Silo Eco-Home and the community, informational booths, bike clinic and more.
· 10:45 a.m. Arbor Day Celebration sponsored by the Greensburg Tree Board at GreenTown's Silo Eco-Home.
· 11:00 a.m. Groundbreaking for GreenTown's second eco-home, the Meadowlark House (across the street from the Silo Eco-Home)
· 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. The 5.4.7 Arts Center open for touring (204 West Wisconsin)
· 11:15 a.m. Guided walking tour of the downtown area (meet at GreenTown 402 S. Sycamore St.)
· Noon - 4 p.m. Wind-Wind Situation Kite Flying Festival, hosted by the Topeka Kite Fliers and GreenTown at the High School football field on South Main Street. Bring your own kite and join the fun! (Kites available locally for purchase at Studio 54 downtown.) FREE EVENT
· 1:00 p.m. Bike Clinic staffed by AmeriCorps team members. All ages are welcomed to learn basic safety and maintenance tips. At GreenTown’s Silo Eco-Home, 402 South Sycamore Street.
· 1:30 p.m. Short in-town bike ride hosted by Oz Bicycle Club of Wichita and Greensburg GreenTown. (Meet at the Silo Eco-Home, 402 South Sycamore Street.)
· 2:00 – 4:00 p.m. Reception at the 5.4.7 Arts Center, featuring the work of high school artists. (204 West Wisconsin)
· 2:30 p.m. Driving tour of the community (meet at GreenTown’s Silo Eco-Home, 402 South Sycamore St.)
MERCHANT SPECIALS (FOR THE SEPARATE POSTER):
Ø We will be open regular hrs Mon-Fri 10-6 and Sat 10-4
Ø Will be able to register to win a gift certificate and will have snacks available.
Ø "More than great clothing! We offer a wide selection of western home décor.”
Ø 9:00 a.m. Prayer and dedication to mark the GRAND RE-OPENING of the Care-N-Share, the first store rebuilt on Main Street after the storm. New hours, new prices, new store – come and see us! Open 9-5 on Friday.
GREEN BEAN COFFEE CO.
Ø Friday hours 7 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Ø Saturday 8 a.m. – 8 p.m.
Ø Medieval carnival theme, door prizes, drawings
Ø Live music 4-7 p.m. with several artists, including Jeremiah Williams (free event)
Ø Refreshments and storewide sale with 20% off
Ø natural make-up consultation 10 - 11 a.m.
Ø essential oils introduction 1 p.m.
Ø brilliant body presentation 1:30 p.m.
Ø Celebrating our first store birthday – April 29!
Ø April 28, 29 & 30: Come in for 20% off any one regular priced item!
Ø …and sign up for our drawing for a free $25.00 gift card!
Ø Plus other awesome sales throughout the store!
Ø drawing for giveaway
Ø in-store specials
Ø Come see us at the Kite Festival!
WHERE’D YA FIND THAT? ANTIQUES
Ø Open 10-6 Friday and Saturday
Sunday, May 1
· 9:30 a.m Brown Auction (900 East Kansas Ave.) antiques auction
· 1:00 – 6:00 p.m. Big Well Gift Shop open
RUN WITH THE LAW
Kiowa County Schools alongside the Kiowa County Sheriff’s Department will be raising funds and awareness for the Athletes of Special Olympics Kansas on Saturday, May 21, 2011.
Run with the Law is part of the Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics Kansas. This community event aims to increase both funds and awareness for the more than 5,400 athletes of Special Olympics Kansas.
Registration for the Run will start at 3 p.m. and the Run starts at 4 p.m. at the Kiowa County Fairgrounds, 720 N. Bay St., Greensburg. The run will end with a BBQ at Davis Park. All registered runners will receive free BBQ.
For more information or to become involved, contact Kiowa County Undersheriff Richard McVey at 620-723-2182 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
FAITH RINGERS BELL CHOIR TO PERFORM
You are invited to come and share some time with us as we ring Praises to the Lord!!! The Faith Ringers Bell Choir will be playing at the Mullinville Methodist Church during their worship service at 11 a.m. on Sunday, May 8th.
FLOWER POWER FUNDRAISER!
Hanging baskets, tomato and pepper plants, bedding plants, and various flowers available at 522 N. Grove in Greensburg. Stop by M-F 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturdays 9-6. Proceeds will help fund Shelby Butler and Remington Grasz on their educational trip to Washington D.C. and New York City with Smithsonian Tours.
“GO GREEN” EVENT
The Greensburg Kansas Post Office announces a special event to commemorate 4 years of "Rebuilding Green For Future Generations",
A special Pictorial Cancellation will be held at the 5-4-7 Arts Center, 204 W. Wisconsin Ave., from 10AM to 5PM on Wednesday, May 4, 2010. The "Go Green" stamps pane, featuring sixteen ways to conserve our planet's resources, will be available for sale. Related items including tote bags, note cards, stamp panes with the official Digital Color Postmark, stamped postcards and envelopes bearing the "Go Green" images will also be available for sale, along with the "Kansas Statehood" stamp. Your item, bearing un-cancelled First Class postage, will also be cancelled at no charge. Booths and displays by Greensburg Greentown and 5-4-7 Arts Center staff will provide information on the destruction and re-building of Greensburg. Don't miss this ONCE IN A LIFETIME event!
GHS ALUMNI REUNION PICNIC
The picnic will be held at the Community Building, on Saturday, May 28, 2011. Kook's Meats will be catering the sandwich buffet. The cost per person is $5.00. You will need to send checks to: Susan McGuire, 5617 Winton Road, Fairfield, OH 45014. The deadline is May 1st. The picnic will begin around noon. All are welcome to join in the fun.
GHS ALUMNI BANQUET
The Alumni Banquet will be held at the gym (came place as last year) at 6:00 p.m. Tickets can be purchased now, and are $12.50 per person. You may make your check out to: GHS Alumni Association, c/o Sherrell Seacat Heft (Treasurer), 16482 US 183, Greensburg, KS 67054.
All Tickets MUST BE PURCHASED BY MAY 21st! NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE DOOR. If you want your tickets ahead of time, please include a self addressed, stamped envelope, so they can be returned to you.
Honored classes will end in 1 and 6 - if you want to reserve a table for your classmates, you will need to contact Lana Swisher, to arrange a time on Friday afternoon (the 27th), to have access to the gym. You can contact Lana at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Great Bargains on Top Quality! The Care-n-Share Store is open Mondays & Fridays, 9 - 5, Saturdays 8 - 2. The store is located at 205 S. Main in Greensburg. You have to see it to believe it! Proceeds enhance the work of the Kiowa County Ministerial Alliance.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
· The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komatera Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Historical Society meets the third Thursday of each month at 6:30 pm in the 5.4.7 Arts Center (204 W. Wisconsin) in Greensburg.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.