Kiowa County / Greensburg Update October 23 - 29, 2011
HISTORICAL SOCIETY ANNUAL MEETING
The Kiowa County Historical Society will host it’s annual meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 27th in the meeting room at the Kiowa County Commons Building. There will be an election of board members and the meeting is open to the public.
RUN FOR MISSIONS
The Evangelical Friends Church will hold their annual Run for Mission 5K and 7K fun at 9 a.m. on Sunday, October 30th. The run benefits the Run for Mission scholarship fund that supports students who plan to serve on the Friends Mission Field. Walkers are also welcome! Register now at www.runformissions.org.
TRUNK OR TREAT
The Greensburg Recreation Center will be hosting their Annual Trunk or Treat Event on Saturday, October 29th at the Rec Center, 600 S. Main, Greensburg
* 6:00pm-6:30pm= trunk or treat
Please be parked and ready before 6:00pm
Trunk Decorating contest, Grand prize $50
* 6:30pm-8:00pm= fun and games
Hay scramble, Pumpkin toss, Spider throw, Basketball free throw ,Art table, guessing game, Little Debbie walk
* 6:00pm-8:00pm= silent auction
Prized donated by local business
* 6:00pm-8:00pm= hay maze
Cost one can good for the food bank, Put on by the 4-H Program
* Concession stand
* Costume contest
* Pumpkin decorating contest
FOOD CHALLENGE FOR LOCAL FOOD BANKS
Kansas courthouses are going head to head with Nebraska courthouses in a FRIENDLY challenge to see who can donate the most food/money to feed the hungry.
Start Date: October 31 End Date: November 21
All the food and money from each county will go to that county’s local Food Bank. We’ll keep track of how many items of food and how much money - $1.00 = one food item- each week during the Challenge period.
They’ll figure the percentage based on number of county employees so it’s fair for both large and small counties.
We’ll have boxes in various locations throughout the county buildings. Bring your donations as often as possible. Your friends can help too! Non perishable food items only please.
LET’S SHOW NEBRASKA WHO KNOWS HOW TO GIVE!!
Questions? Contact Carmen Renfrow, County Clerk 723-3366 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Peace Lutheran Church will be sponsoring a Soup Supper on November 5th from 5 to 7 p.m. at the church, 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Soups will be Cabbage Patch, Chili & Chicken Noodle. Pies and relishes will also be served. Free will donation. Everyone is invited to attend!
MEDICARE PART D ENROLLMENT
The Annual Enrollment Period for Part D medicine insurance is OCTOBER 15 – DECEMBER 7. This is earlier than previous years. All Medicare beneficiaries who wish to enroll, review, or change their plans can do so during this time. Please contact the S.H.I.C.K. representative for Kiowa County—Carolyn Irvin will be available beginning Oct. 17th Monday through Thursday after 3p at the hospital; Fridays at Haviland to November 4th which she will not be available and the next two Fridays will be in Greensburg. The Clinics will be closed on Nov. 25th for the Thanksgiving holiday. Contact Carolyn in Greensburg at 620-723-4219; in Haviland at 620-862-5431 on Fridays; by cell at 620-388-1615; or email at email@example.com.
5.4.7 ARTS CENTER CLASSES SCHEDULED
* * Monoprinting: Monoprinting is a form of printmaking that has images or lines that can only be made once, unlike most printmaking, where there are multiple originals. Using acetate sheets and paint, we will create our own unique prints. A great way to make handmade greeting and holiday cards! Class cost $20 per person, includes all materials. Tuesday, October 25th at 7 p.m.
* Christmas Ornaments with Friends and Family: This is a family and friends class for adults and children to work together to create new holiday ornaments with clay! No children? Bring a friend and come have fun! Class costs $20 per pair, $5 per additional person, includes all supplies and firings. Saturday, November 19th at 10 a.m.
Please sign up for classes in advance! Contact Stacy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 620-723-2600.
FLU SHOTS AVAILABLE
The Kiowa County Health Dept. now has Flu shots available.
After Oct 3, 2011 we will be able to honor Walk-In’s every Monday and Tue. We will bill insurances and Medicare.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
· The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komotara Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Historical Society meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Conference Room.
· The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Building. Please contact Jan West at 723-3181 for more information.
· The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Commons Conference room or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
· The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please call 723-2272 for more information.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill charges $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
· Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.