Kiowa County / Greensburg January 24 - 30, 2010
Public Information Update
Sunday, January 24, – Saturday, January 30, 2010
KIOWA COUNTY COUNCIL ON AGING
The Kiowa County Council on Aging is having a luncheon at Barclay College, January 27th at 11:00 a.m. The cost is $6.00 which includes the main dish, salad bar, dessert and drink. Seniors in Kiowa County are welcome. After lunch we will have speakers and music. Rides will be available to Haviland. To RSVP for rides, please call 620-723-2907 or 620-723-2569.
5.4.7 ARTS CENTER PRESENTS MARC BERGHAUS
The exhibit, “Chance n’ Fate n’ Whatnot,” will be at the Arts Center from January 15th through February 28th.
An Artist’s Talk and Reception is scheduled for Saturday, February 13th at 7 p.m.
Mr. Berghaus is a Kansas artist who lives and works in Meade, KS. One of his primary artistic activities has been to create mechanical representations of “chance.” This show is a nice representation of his work with causality – how things happen, why they happen, and very importantly, why people think they happen. March utilizes 19th century, Newtonian technology: brass gears, motors, hand-built crank-shafts to capture Nature and chance.
KIOWA COUNTY COUNCIL ON AGING MEETINGS
The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 7:00 p.m. at the Food Bank in Greensburg.
PHYSICAL THERAPY OFFERED AT KCMH
Physical Therapy services are now being offered at the Kiowa County Memorial Hospital. Secondary to limited space and equipment, only limited services will be offered until the new facility opens. Individuals who have undergone recent shoulder or knee surgery and those with new onset of pain can call today to schedule an appointment. You will need a signed prescription from your physician for Outpatient Physical Therapy.
Please call Tanya Yoder, Physical Therapist, at the Kiowa County Memorial Hospital (620-723-3341) to discuss your needs.
SAVE THE DATE
The Kiowa County Health Fair is scheduled for Saturday, March 27th from 7 – 10 a.m. at the Greensburg School gymnasium. Basic lab work will be $20, PSA is $5. Please fast for 12 hours before having blood drawn.
For more information, contact the Kiowa County Health Department at 620-723-2136.
The last day to file for City Council election is January 26th at noon. For more information, contact the Kiowa County Clerk’s Office at 620-723-3366.
ST. JOSEPH CATHOLIC CHURCH ANNUAL MEXICAN SUPPER
Please join us in fellowship as we once again share with you our annual Enchilada Sales and Mexican Supper on Sunday, February 14, 2010 from 5 – 7 p.m. at St. Joseph Catholic Church, Greensburg. The meal is by free will donation.
To order enchiladas call:
Tracy Little (620-474-2145) or Judy Schoenberger (620-388-4541) by February 5th. Enchiladas may be purchased by the dozen for $13.00 and picked up on February 13th by 1:00 p.m.
TREES FOR THOSE AFFECTED BY TORNADO
Suburban Lawn and Landscape of Kansas City has contacted the Extension Office and the Greensburg Tree Board with an offer for trees to those affected by the May 4, 2007 tornado. As a grower and landscaper, the company would like to offer 3” – 4” balled and burlaped trees for $50 each.
Homeowners would be responsible for the $50 cost of tree, 4 posts and staking materials, 3 bags of mulch per tree, and a 20 gallon gator bag to water the trees. Additionally, the homeowner would be responsible for paying to have the hole dug for the trees as the root ball will be 36” to 44” in diameter and weighing close to 600 pounds.
Suburban Lawn and Landscape has partnered with a trucking company to provide free freight to Greensburg. The trees will be delivered this spring to a central location and distributed from there. Individuals needing delivery will have to state so at the time of order.
Tree varieties available:
Maple; Amur Flame, Autumn Blaze – 132 trees
Locust, Skyline – 150 trees
Crabapple; Golden Raindrop, Louisa, Pink Princess, Red Jewell, Robinson, Spring Snow – 946 trees
London Plane – 20 trees
Elm; Accolade, Danada, Prospector – 52 trees
Zelkova, Green Vase – 11 trees
Trees will be available to residents of Kiowa County, public organizations, civic organizations and businesses.
To order a tree, call 620-723-2156 by February 19th.
The First United Methodist Church of Greensburg would like to invite everyone over for supper on Wednesday, February 3rd from 5 – 6:30 p.m. at the church, 600 W. Lincoln.
Free will donation with proceeds going to:
· Youthville Chapel Project
· Sonshine and Rainbows Discovery Center
· Methodist Ladies Projects.
ANNUAL CONSERVATION MEETING
Kiowa County Conservation District and the Kiowa County Bankers' Association will have the 64th Annual Meeting and Bankers' Awards Dinner on Monday, February 1, 2010 at 6:30 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church. Kiowa County producers will be recognized by the Kansas Bankers' Association of Kiowa County for the outstanding efforts to implement and use sound conservation practices. Steve Kirk, Centera Bank, will serve as key banker and present conservation awards to Mr. & Mrs. Chris Ballard & family for Soil Conservation and to Mr. & Mrs. Max D.
Liggett, for the Windbreak award.
The District will present the Grassland Award to Kuhn Ranch.
Winners of the conservation poster contest will be recognized and the winning posters will be displayed.
Please make plans to join us for this annual event. The meal is free, compliments of the banks of Kiowa County. Reservations need to be made by Monday, January 25, 2010. Please make your reservations by calling the conservation district office at 620-723-2146, ext 3.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
KIOWA COUNTY WEBSITE
To access information about the Kiowa County Government, please visit their new website at kiowacountyks.org
County Commission minutes will soon be available via the website for the convenience of the residents to read.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas,Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.