Kiowa County/Greensburg Update 7-19-09 to 7-25-09
Public Information Update
Sunday, July 19, 2009 – Saturday, July 25, 2009
BACK TO SCHOOL PHYSICALS
Back-to-school physicals will be offered at the Greensburg Clinic on Tuesday, July 28th. Physicals will be scheduled from 8:30 – 11 a.m. and 1 – 3:30 p.m., please call to schedule an appointment.
Please stop by the Clinic or the school office to pick up your physical form prior to your appointment. If you have glasses, please bring them with you to the physical.
For more information, please call the Greensburg Clinic at 620-723-2127.
KIOWA COUNTY FAIR SCHEDULE
TUESDAY, JULY 21
8 a.m. Style Review Judging at Mullinville School
7 p.m. Public Style Review at Mullinville School
SATURDAY, JULY 25
9 a.m. 4-H Horse Show
11a.m. – 2 p.m. JD’s BBQ
6 – 7:30 p.m. Meal
7:30 p.m. 4-H and Open Class Speed Events
9p.m. – 12 a.m. Community Dance
MONDAY, JULY 27
8a.m. – 12 p.m. Building Exhibit Entry (4-H and Open Class)
8a.m. – 12 p.m. Livestock Entry (4-H and Open Class)
8:30a.m. – 12p.m. Building Judging
11a.m. – 2 p.m. JD’s BBQ
2 p.m. Hand Pet Show
3 p.m. Rabbit & Poultry Show
5:30 p.m. Turtle Race
6 – 7:30 p.m. Meal sponsored by Gamble Farms & Melton Ranch
6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Pedal Pull
Dusk Movie (Pink Panther 2)
TUESDAY, JULY 28
9 a.m. Swine Show
11a.m. – 2p.m. JD’s BBQ
2 p.m. Super Cow/Calf Show (Open Class)
6 – 7:30 p.m. Meal sponsored by Hefts & Sons, LLC
7 p.m. Sheep & Goat Show
8:30 p.m. Rodeo Events sponsored by Triangle Rodeo Club
WEDNESDAY, JULY 29
9 a.m. Beef Show
11a.m. – 2p.m. JD’s BBQ
1:30 p.m. Round Robin Contest
6 – 7:30 p.m. Chicken Dinner & Watermelon Feed
7:30 p.m. Costumed Pet Parade
7:45 p.m. Livestock Barn Ribbon Cutting with the New York Says Thank You Foundation
8 p.m. Premium Auction
BACK TO SCHOOL BASH
The Lighthouse Worship Center will be hosting a back-to-school on Saturday, August 1st from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the church, 804 W. Wisconsin.
There will be free food, games and an inflatable bounce house for fun. There will be free school supplies for students kindergarten – 5th grade for school districts 422 and 474.
For more information, contact Christa Zapfe at 620-770-9736.
The American Red Cross will be giving a babysitter training class on Wednesday, August 5, at the Haviland High School gym. The class is for Kiowa County youth ages 11-15. Class will be held from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Participants should bring a lunch or make plans for lunch from 12:00 to 12:45 p.m.
Call the Greensburg USD Office, 723-2145, or the Haviland USD Office, 862-5256, by July 24 to register.
BIG DANCE SCHEDULED FOR JULY 25TH
Greensburg will be host to the Don Lipovac Orchestra from Kansas City, Kansas on Saturday, July 25th. The dance will be held from 7 – 11 p.m. at the Heft and Sons Machinery Shed, across from the Rodeo Grounds.
Don Lipovac was named the World’s Best Accordion player a number of years ago. Music will be Polkas and more. Food and beverages will be available. Admission is $10 per person. All proceeds will go to Greensburg GreenTown.
Contact Bob Mosier at 620-770-1144 for more information.
GREENSBURG BLOOD DRIVE
The Red Cross will be hosting a Greensburg Community blood drive on Friday, July 24 from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM at the Bethel Mennonite Church.
Individuals at least 17 years of age (16 in Kansas with completed Parental Consent Form), who weigh a minimum of 110 pounds and are in general good health, may be eligible to donate blood. There is no upper age limit on donors.
Individuals unable to donate blood can still make a contribution by organizing Red Cross blood drives or assisting as a volunteer in local drives. For more information or to schedule an appointment, donors should call 1-800-GIVE-LIFE (1-800-448-3543) or visit bloodisneeded.org. The Red Cross reminds those coming to donate to bring a photo ID.
KIOWA COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT
Because of the move to the Courthouse, during July, the Kiowa Co. Health Dept. will not have Open clinic days on Tuesdays. Please call ahead to make appointments for any services you need during July.
COUNTY CLERK’S OFFICE OFFERS LICENSES
The Kiowa County Clerk’s Office is now able to issue Hunting and Fishing licenses. Additionally, they can process boat registrations and renewals.
Stop in and get your licenses and registrations locally.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Business Incubator Building, located at 100 S. Main.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave, Greensburg..
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located at 219 S. Oak.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas,Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· First Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.