Kiowa County / Greensburg Nov. 29 - Dec. 5, 2009
Public Information Update
Sunday, November 29, 2009–Saturday, December 5, 2009
COMMUNITY CHRISTMAS DINNER
Enjoy a Community Christmas Dinner Friday, December 11, 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. at the Iroquois Center Maintenance Shed, 610 East Grant in Greensburg. Turkey, tea, coffee and service will be furnished. Bring a covered dish of your choice and enjoy fellowship with your friends and neighbors.
If you need to obtain a passport for some upcoming travel, stop by the Kiowa County Register of Deeds! Marilyn Brown is now certified to take U. S. Passport applications.
Passport applications will be available Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. For more information, call 620-723-2441.
LIGHTED CHRISTMAS PARADE
The Greensburg Rotary will be sponsoring the Lighted Christmas Parade again. The parade will be December 6th beginning at 6 p.m. with the route to be determined.
If you or your organization would like participate in the parade, contact Greg Waters at 620-723-2761.
5.4.7 ARTS CENTER OPEN HOUSE
The 5.4.7 Arts Center will have an Open House on Sunday, December 6th from 1 – 4 p.m. Come visit us to view the current art exhibit in the gallery, have refreshments, and there will be a holiday art project for kids!
Dolores Williams is retiring after 32 years as the Haviland Librarian. Please join us in wishing her a happy retirement on Monday, November 30th from 2 – 4 p.m. at the Haviland Library. The Kiowa County Library wishes to thank her for her years of service!
CITY HALL & STREETSCAPE DEDICATION
The City of Greensburg will celebrate the completion of the Main Street landscaping and the City Hall Construction with a Dedication on December 6th at 4:30 p.m. at City Hall.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave, Greensburg..
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
BIG WELL GIFT SHOP
The Big Well Gift Shop will have an Open House on Sunday, December 6th from 1 to 5 p.m. Everything in the store will be 10% off! Great Kansas made food and gift items, Christmas cards, Greensburg souvenirs, and more. Shop locally for your holiday gift giving!
2009 HOLIDAY OPEN HOUSE
The Kiowa County Chamber of Commerce will be sponsoring the 2009 Holiday Open House on Sunday, December 6th. Most Kiowa County Businesses will be open at 1 p.m. and will stay open until 8 p.m.
Help grow our county by shopping your local businesses on December 6th.
GREENSBURG HOLIDAY HOME TOURS
The Holiday Home Tours will be held from 1:30 – 4:30 p.m. on Sunday, December 6th. Tickets will be available at the doors. Homes to be toured are:
· 603 S. Maple St.
· 505 S. Spruce St.
· 510 S. Spruce St.
· 200 S. Grove St.
HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS CRAFTS & GIFTS
Come check out the crafts and gifts available at the Home for the Holidays Extravaganza on Sunday, December 6th from 1:30 – 5:30 p.m. at the Greensburg School Gym.
BIG WELL MUSEUM SURVEY
Project Explore is gathering community input for the Big Well Museum. Please help the City of Greensburg by completing the online survey at the website:
If you do not have internet and would like to complete the survey, you can pick up a copy at City Hall.
Please have all surveys completed prior to December 7th.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is http://www.greensburgks.org/ check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas,Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
H1N1 IN KIOWA COUNTY
As we suspected we do have H1N1 in the county and in our school systems. Please remind everyone,
1. STAY AT HOME, if they don’t feel good, if you wait until you have a fever, you have most likely exposed everyone the day before.
2. If you have family member home with fever, cough or sore throats, be very aware that family members can have symptoms as soon as 48 hrs. later.
3. Washing your hands is very important, so remember that just because your hands may come in contact with the virus, you are not exposed until you put your hand in your mouth. The virus has to get into the body. It can get into your body, if you are in close contact with someone that is coughing and therefore sheds the virus in the air and you breathe it in. It really doesn’t stay in the air that long, so again try to avoid close contact activities etc. in your workplace and at home.
4. Please be very sure that you are not having a player participate in sport until they have been free of fever for AT LEAST 24 HRS without medication. We just can not take a chance with our young people, most will recover and not be sick very long, but 10% of our students could have a very serious response to this virus.
5. Remember if your family and friends are sick, keep them well hydrated. Use medication to keep the fever down. If at any time you notice even the slightest change in their breathing that is the time to see an MD immediately. You can of course see your MD at anytime, but right now, sitting in a doctor’s clinic isn’t really the healthiest place to be.
Please call our office if you have any questions or concerns.
620-723-2136 and after hours, 620-388-4544
Kiowa County Health Dept.