Kiowa County / Greensburg 3-31-08 to 4-2-08
Public Information Update
Monday, March 31, 2008 – Wednesday, April 2, 2008
5.4.7 ARTS CENTER
Come Celebrate! Greensburg's new 5.4.7 Arts Center is currently under construction at 204 West Wisconsin (north of the Big Well) by Studio 804 of KU, Lawrence. The students plan to complete the facility by the May 4 anniversary of the tornado.
To celebrate the building's arrival, the public is invited to attend a street picnic supper on Thursday, April 3, from 5:00-7:00 P.M. at the Center to both meet the KU students and see firsthand the amazing amount of progress being made to benefit our community!
The meal is by donation only with all proceeds going toward the building fund and children's summer programs.
CARRIAGE HOUSE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS
The Carriage House is now accepting applications for all positions. Contact Steve at 620-546-4576 or Judy at 620-770-2774 to inquire about the positions or to pick up an application.
PAPA JOHN’S PIZZA
Papa John’s Pizza trailer will be in Greensburg on Monday, March 31st from 4 – 8 p.m. The trailer will be located on the 100 S. Main block.
TREES FROM UDALL – PHASE II
Udall has teamed up with Westar Energy, the Kansas Forest Service and K-State Research and Extension for the 2nd phase of trees for Greensburg homeowners.
The trees will be provided in phases as residents are ready to move back into their homes. The second phase will be 75 to 100 trees for homeowners ready to move into or living in their homes. The trees will arrive on April 12th to be planted. You will be allowed to choose your preference of a large shade tree, a small to medium ornamental, or a shrub. Please contact Carmen Stauth at 620-723-2156 to register your name and selected a tree category.
LIONS CLUB PA SYSTEM
The Greensburg Lyons Club has purchased a portable PA system to be used for Ground Breaking ceremonies and other public events. To reserve the system, please contact Steve Kirk at Centera Bank, 620-723-3356, or Steve Dawson at 620-546-4576.
HABITAT FOR HUMANITY
Habitat for Humanity now has an office in Greensburg. It is located in the FEMA trailer B, located SW of the courthouse square. Appointments are available on Wednesdays between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Contact Marci Hawks at 316-269-0755 or 316-619-2227.
TRACTOR SAFETY TRAINING
Youth ages 13 to 15 can sign up now for one of two tractor safety training that will be held in April. The Dodge City training is a one-day training that will be held on April 19th. The Pratt training is a 2-day all inclusive training that will be held on April 26-27th. Contact the Extension Office at 620-723-2156 to sign up for either training.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located directly west of the courthouse square
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. Please call if you have questions. City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays.
· Moving out of Keller Estates? Notify city hall so utilities can be shut off. Without notification, the City will continue to bill for water.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Tuesday-Friday 11-4, Saturday 10-4, Sunday 1-4. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
ADDITIONAL WILDLIFE FUNDS AVAILABLE
The one month extension of the 2002 Farm Bill is allowing the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) to offer additional funds to landowners interested in the Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP). The NRCS accepts applications on a continuous basis. Applications received now through April 1, 2008, will be considered for funding. Contact Jamie at 620-723-2146 for more information.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located in the FEMA trailer E, located just southwest of the courthouse square. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. Please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information.
· Salvation Army is located in the Barclay College Library. Office hours are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering several housing reconstruction assistance programs. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) is a grant funded outreach project serving the counties of Kiowa, Edwards, Comanche, Pratt and Stafford. Call the Greensburg Office at 620-723-1088, Project cell phone at 785-313-6123 or toll free at 866.327.6578 or e-mail email@example.com with questions. They will be in five communities until June 2, 2008. Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) KARE 1 Program offers a range of crisis support services: support groups, educational presentations, and individual counseling.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. For more information, call 620-862-5882 or stop by at 201 N. Main St., Haviland.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Come sign-up for volunteer assistance with clean-up and repair or reconstruction. For more information, call 620-862-5422.
· Hudson Oil Company, H.B. Hudson, founder will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank to pick up the application.
· Wichita Area Builders Association is working through the Salvation Army to locate Greensburg Families rebuilding within the city limits who have a contract with a building contractor to build their home, which will come to no more than $120,000 and who would not qualify for a loan without the $5000 available through WABA. If you or someone you know falls within these guidelines please contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
· Curfew Hours remain in effect. For youth under 16 years of age, 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. For youth 16 – 18 years of age, 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
· Treat ALL power lines as if they are live. Call 911 if you observe an arcing power line.
· Respiratory protection is recommended for all workers. Dust masks and safety glasses are available at the Health Department on the square.
· Burning is prohibited in the Greensburg city limits. In rural areas, follow county ordinances. Burning is strongly discouraged in high winds.
· Protect yourself with gloves, hard-soled shoes or boots. If you have a cut or scratch that does not heal normally, seek necessary medical attention.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· First Christian Church is meeting at the SCKTRO Village at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the Greensburg Family Practice temporary facility each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
Landowners and operators in the Coon-Pickerel Watershed that covers parts of 10 counties (Barton, Edwards, Ford, Gray, Hodgeman, Kiowa, Pawnee, Rice, Rush, and Stafford) in south-central Kansas can take part in the 2008 Conservation Security Program (CSP) sign-up April 18 through May 16 at local Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) offices. The NRCS is an agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The sign-up was announced March 19 by USDA Secretary of Agriculture Ed Schafer.
"Public meetings will be held in the in the Coon-Pickerel
Watershed before the sign-up period begins," said Jamie Holopirek, District Conservationist, at Greensburg. "Producers at their convenience are free to attend any informational meeting within the watershed."
· April 14, Monday - 7 p.m. J A Haas Exhibit Building, 400 E 18th, Larned, KS
· April 15, Tuesday - 7 p.m. Kinsley City Hall, 721 Marsh, Kinsley, KS
· April 16, Wednesday - 7 p.m. Blue Hereford Restaurant, 807 Main Street, Ford, KS
· April 17, Thursday - 7 p.m. Front Door, 1615 10th Street, Great Bend, KS
"Since the 2008 Conservation Security Program: Self-Assessment Workbook needs to be completed to apply, I encourage producers to learn about the program early," said Jamie Holopirek.
Check with the Greensburg NRCS field office or conservation district staff in the Coon-Pickerel Watershed to learn more about signing up for the CSP. The office is located at 122 East Illinois Ave, Greensburg, KS or call (620)723-2146.