Kiowa County / Greensburg 4-28-08 to 4-30-08
Public Information Update
Monday, April 28, 2008 – Wednesday, April 30, 2008
BUSINESS INCUBATOR GROUNDBREAKING
The Business Incubator groundbreaking will be held at 6 am on Friday, May 2nd. The groundbreaking will be broadcast live on the CBS Early Show and the whole town is invited! There will be food and live entertainment from REO Speedwagon. It should be a great party, even though it’s early!
BIG WELL PARK
The CBS Early Show will be broadcasting live Monday-Friday from 6-8am from Big Well Park. Everyone is encouraged to be there during the broadcast times to help with the playground construction. This will be a big week for our town, and it would be wonderful if you can come out and help!
HEALTH DEPARTMENT CLOSED
The Kiowa County Health Department will be closed Tuesday, April 29th and Wednesday, April 30th. Due to the closure, Clinic Day will be held on Monday, April 28th.
CELL PHONE DIRECTORY
The Community Recovery Action Team is asking the community to help us revise the Cell Phone Directory that was published last June. We would like to make a Greensburg Phone Book including new addresses.
We are asking businesses to compile a list of employees with phone numbers and addresses. Over the Celebration Weekend there will be notepads placed around the community to add you information too. If you would like to e-mail this information, please send your name, phone number and address to kmcmurry@usd422 or firstname.lastname@example.org
The Kiowa County Ministerial Alliance is sponsoring community prayer has been scheduled each Wednesday morning at 7 a.m. at the Kiowa County Food Bank. Everyone is invited to attend and pray with us. For more information, contact any KCMA member.
HEALTH CONTRACT PROGRAM
The Kiowa County Extension Office and the Kiowa County Health Department are sponsoring a “Health Contract” Program to promote healthy lifestyles. The program will kick off on May 5th and end August 15th. If you would like to participate in the “Health Contract” program, please stop by the Extension Office and pick up a team packet.
A community gardens area has been established for residents of Greensburg who do not have space for a garden. There are 36 garden plots (15’x15’) available on a first come basis. The plots are $10.00 each. The ground will be worked and ready for planting. Water will be provided at no cost. Call the Extension Office for your garden plot at 620-723-2156.
· JOBS IN GREENSBURG: Greensburg residents are being considered for employment. Those interested can visit the KansasWorks office at 218 N. Main or by calling Amber or Christina at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
USDA RURAL DEVELOPMENT OFFICE
The USDA Rural Development Office has moved into the USDA Service Center located at 122 E. Illinois. Office hours are Monday – Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., night appointments upon request. For more information, please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546.
PHASES OF DISASTER RECOVERY
The KARE 1 Project will be at Volunteer Village (611 W Illinois) on May 6th, 15th, 22nd, and 28th at 7:30 pm for an educational group presentation. We will be discussing dealing with the Phases of Disaster Recovery, normal reactions to a disaster event, and self care tips for adults, children and teens. If you have questions please call the KARE office at 620-723-1088 or 785-313-6123.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located at 219 S. Oak.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. Please call if you have questions. City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Tuesday-Friday 11-4, Saturday 10-4, Sunday 1-4. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
TRAGEDY TO TRIUMPH - GREENSBURG RISING
A Celebration of Community, Progress, Friendship, and Life
May 2, 3, and 4th 2008
Friday, May 2nd
· Business Incubator Ground Breaking 6:00 a.m. Big Event!!! - 101 S. Main
· Sunset Acres Park Dedication - Ribbon Cutting/Dedication Stone 11:00 a.m.
· Picnic at Sunset Acres Park 11:30 - 12:30
· Greensburg Greentown Visitor/Green Information Center 204 W. Florida
Grand Opening 1:00 p.m., Open to the public 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
· Greensburg Cubed Projects Arrive 1:30 p.m. 204 W. Florida
· Big Well Gift Shop Open 9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m., View Big Well all day
Saturday, May 3rd
· Golf Tournament 8:00 a.m.
· Care and Share Grand Reopening 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. 207 S. Main St.
· Going to Town (a recreation of Main Street) 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
· Greensburg Timeline Viewing at Volunteer Village Dining Hall
· National Weather Service Presentations of May 4, 2007 events 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., Discussions available 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. Kiowa County Meeting Trailer (see note below)
· National Weather Service display and discussion of May 4, 2007 3:00 p.m.
· Carriage House Community Bar-B-Q 11:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. 723 S Elm
· Golf Tournament 1:00 p.m.
· Komotara Apartments Open House 1:30 - 3:30
· Water Tower Ribbon Cutting 2:00 p.m. 315 S. Sycamore
· KCMH Open House/photo share/ice cream social 3:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. West Tent
· Greensburg Greentown/Kiowa County Chamber Dinner 6:30 p.m. Davis Park
· Rodeo Club Street Dance and Entertainment 8:30 p.m. Davis Park
Sunday, May 4th
· Community Worship Service Davis Park 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
· Sante Fe Trail Car Club Show Main Street 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
· Community Meal Davis Park 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.
· Kiowa County Farm Bureau Association Ice Cream Social 1:00 Main Street
· Presentation and Dedication of Victims Memorial 322 S. Grove 1:30 p.m.
· High School Graduation 3:00 p.m.
· Grand Opening of 5-4-7 Art Center 2:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. 204 W. Wisconsin
· Ground Breaking of First Baptist Church 6:00 p.m. 54 and Sycamore
· Candle Light Vigil 9:30 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Davis Park
Please note: The community meals, scheduled for the weekend, have been planned based on an estimated attendance. We would like to accommodate everyone, but have no way of determining the actual number of meals needed. Meals will be served on a first come first serve basis. There will be several vendors, located in town, during the weekend, for your convenience.
The National Weather Service will be on hand from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Saturday, May 3rd. We have scheduled two presentation times, but seating is limited. If you do not make the presentation, stop in and visit with Mike Umscheid and Larry Ruthi, during the day. Storm chaser Lance Fergeson will also be available to share his experience with the community. They will be located in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located just west of the Courthouse (219 S. Oak).
Anyone wanting to bring the pictures for the photo share at the Kiowa County Memorial Hospital can contact Mary Sweet at 620-723-3342 or just drop pictures off at the hospital.