Kiowa County/Greensburg Oct. 25 - 31, 2009
Public Information Update
Sunday, October 25, 2009–Saturday, October 31, 2009
CESSNA PARTNERS WITH GREENSBURG
Cessna and the City of Greensburg are co-hosting a press conference to make an announcement regarding collaboration between the two. Speakers will be: Bob Dixson, Mayor of Greensburg; Jack Pelton, Chairman, President and CEO Cessna; and Dennis McKinney, Kansas State Treasurer. One-on-one interviews will be available immediately following the ceremony.
The press conference will be held on Monday, October 26, 2009 at 2:30 p.m. in front of the Greensburg City Hall. In case of inclement weather, it will be moved inside City Hall.
KIOWA COUNTY COMMUNITY
“EVENING OF HOPE”
November 5, 2009
Meal begins at 5:30 p.m.
Greensburg School Gymnasium
Following the meal, “Paul Unruh” from Newton, KS will provide an inspiring presentation about the Future of Hope.
It has been 30 months since our communities were forced to take a very different journey together. If you feel that in any way, you were affected physically or emotionally by the events of May 4, 2007, please join us!
Let’s spend some time together and look to a Future of Hope!
GREENSBURG RECREATION EVENTS
· The Greensburg Recreation Commission will be hosting the 2nd Annual Trunk or Treat on Saturday, October 31, 2009. The festivities will again be located on West Wisconsin street beginning on the 200 block in front of the 5.4.7 Arts Center. Please have vehicles parked by 6 p.m. as the kids will begin trick or treating then. Parents and kids - please enter from the East end of the block so you can get your glow sticks to see. Contests include: Best decorated trunk/pickup bed; costume contest for all ages, painted pumpkin contest, carved pumpkin contest.
· Bob & Tome Comedy All Stars trip to the Cotillion in Wichita on Friday, November 13. The bus will leave the school parking lot at 5 p.m. The cost is $35 per person and that includes ticket and transportation. Must be 21 years of age or older to participate.
· Youth Wrestling - Shawn Cannon will have an informational wrestling meeting on November 1st for those interested. Cost for the wrestling program is $45 and includes fees, equipment, and shirt.
For more information on any of these events, please call Desiree at 405-338-8344 or 620-723-1110.
The 5.4.7 Arts Center invites you to the 1st Annual 5.4.7 Arts Center Members Wine Tasting on Sunday, November 1st at 6:30 p.m.
Come sample and learn about several varieties of red and white wines, hors d’oeuvres, live music, artwork raffle, and more!
Learn what the arts center is doing to benefit this community and give us suggestions on how we can serve you!
Tickets are $10 and must be purchased in advance. For tickets, please call 620-723-2600, stop by the Arts Center during business hours, or e-mail email@example.com.
H1N1 IN KIOWA COUNTY
As we suspected we do have H1N1 in the county and in our school systems. Please remind everyone,
1. STAY AT HOME, if they don’t feel good, if you wait until you have a fever, you have most likely exposed everyone the day before.
2. If you have family member home with fever, cough or sore throats, be very aware that family members can have symptoms as soon as 48 hrs. later.
3. Washing your hands is very important, so remember that just because your hands may come in contact with the virus, you are not exposed until you put your hand in your mouth. The virus has to get into the body. It can get into your body, if you are in close contact with someone that is coughing and therefore sheds the virus in the air and you breathe it in. It really doesn’t stay in the air that long, so again try to avoid close contact activities etc. in your workplace and at home.
4. Please be very sure that you are not having a player participate in sport until they have been free of fever for AT LEAST 24 HRS without medication. We just can not take a chance with our young people, most will recover and not be sick very long, but 10% of our students could have a very serious response to this virus.
5. Remember if your family and friends are sick, keep them well hydrated. Use medication to keep the fever down. If at any time you notice even the slightest change in their breathing that is the time to see an MD immediately. You can of course see your MD at anytime, but right now, sitting in a doctor’s clinic isn’t really the healthiest place to be.
Please call our office if you have any questions or concerns.
620-723-2136 and after hours, 620-388-4544
Kiowa County Health Dept.
ADULT WATERCOLOR PAINTING CLASS
Beginning Adult Watercolor Painting Classes at the
5.4.7 Arts Center
4 sessions, Tuesday evenings, Oct. 20th-Nov. 10th
$40 per person, beginning supplies included
No experience needed! Grab a friend and sign up!
To register for the class, call the Arts Center at 620-723-2600 or e-mail Stacy at firstname.lastname@example.org
RECYCLING CENTER ITEMS
The following items are accepted at the new Kiowa County Recycling Center:
· White Paper only
· Mixed office pack
· Plastic bottles Pete #1
· Colored plastic HDPE #2 only
· Milk jugs HDPE #2
· Mixed plastic #3-7
· Aluminum cans
· Steel cans
· Mixed paper/chipboard
· Phone books
· Green/blue glass
· Clear glass
· Brown glass
· Corrugated cardboard
The Recycling Center hours are Monday – Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Please stop by and drop off your recyclables.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave, Greensburg..
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Business Incubator Building, located at 100 S. Main.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas,Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· First Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.