Kiowa County / Greensburg 5-27-08 to 6-1-08
Public Information Update
Tuesday, May 27, 2008 – Sunday, June 1, 2008
KIOWA COUNTY CHAMBER BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT GROUP
The Chamber Business Development group is scheduled to meet on Tuesday, May 27, however, after noting that is the day following a long holiday weekend, making it easier to forget and to allow time to contact more people, the meeting is changed to Tuesday, June 3, 5:00 p.m. at Brown Auction Center.
The focus of the meeting will be on:
*If we got it right,
*What will year two look like for the business sector of Kiowa County.
We want to stress the importance of county wide input in this meeting, so please tell your friends and bring them with you. YOUR INPUT IS VITAL TO THE REBUILDING OF GREENSBURG AND GROWTH OF KIOWA COUNTY.
USDA ENERGY MEETING
USDA will be offering an meeting of information for businesses interested in building with the green initiative. The meeting will start at 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday, June 3 at the USDA Service Center in Greensburg. The meeting will be informal, answering questions and providing information. We know how busy everyone is and will be as concise as possible while being thorough. If you have questions, please contact Jeanette Siemens at firstname.lastname@example.org or 770 0233 or Brandon Prough with USDA, email@example.com.
FEIST YELLOW PAGES
The Feist Yellow Pages are trying to contact businesses that existed in Greensburg prior to the May 4, 2007 tornado. They have removed several names as they do not know the status of the business. If you are interested in a Feist Yellow Page ad, please contact Bob Goth at 620-255-1860.
HOUSING RESOURCE COORDIANTOR HIRED
Kiowa County and the City of Greensburg are pleased to announce that Laura Stoltenberg has been hired as the Housing Resource Coordinator. Laura is available to help anyone in Kiowa County needing assistance in finding housing opportunities and financing.
Laura’s Office is located in the County Meeting trailer located at 219 S. Oak St. Her office hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with evening appointments upon request. You can reach the Housing Office by calling 620-723-1097, by cell phone at 620-388-2695 or e-mailing Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Kiowa County Ministerial Alliance invites everyone to community prayer each Wednesday morning at 7 a.m. at the Kiowa County Food Bank.
A community gardens area has been established for residents of Greensburg who do not have space for a garden. There are garden plots (15’x15’) available on a first come basis. The plots are $10.00 each. Call the Extension Office for your garden plot at 620-723-2156.
HELP RECYCLE BAGS
The Care n’ Share and Kiowa County Food Bank are asking people to recycle their plastic and paper bags from Walmart and Dillons. Feel free to stop by the stores and drop off your bags. For more information, please call 620-723-2747.
Care n’ Share store hours are Monday 9 a.m. -5 p.m., Tuesday 3:30 – 7 p.m., and Saturday 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. The Kiowa County Food Bank hours are the 3rd Friday of each month from 3:30 - 5:30 p.m.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
PHASES OF DISASTER RECOVERY
The KARE 1 Project will be at Volunteer Village (611 W Illinois) on May 28th at 7:30 pm for an educational group presentation. If you have questions please call the KARE office at 620-723-1088 or 785-313-6123.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located at 219 S. Oak.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
KANSASWORKS JOB OPPORTUNITIES
The KansasWorks office is located at 218 N. Main St. Stop by to pick up an employment application or by calling Amber or Christina at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· First Christian Church is meeting at the SCKTRO Village at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the Greensburg Family Practice temporary facility each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information call Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. The City website is www.greensburgks.org. Check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located in the USDA Service Center, located at 122 E. Illinois. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. For more information, please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information.
· Salvation Army is located in the Barclay College Library. Office hours are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering several housing reconstruction assistance programs. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) is a grant funded outreach project serving the counties of Kiowa, Edwards, Comanche, Pratt and Stafford. Call the Greensburg Office at 620-723-1088, Project cell phone at 785-313-6123 or toll free at 866.327.6578 or e-mail email@example.com with questions.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. For more information, call 620-862-5882 or stop by at 201 N. Main St., Haviland.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Come sign-up for volunteer assistance with clean-up and repair or reconstruction. For more information, call 620-862-5422.
· Hudson Oil Company, H.B. Hudson, founder will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank to pick up the application.
· Habitat for Humanity has a Greensburg office located in FEMA trailer B, located SW of the courthouse square. Appointments are available on Wednesdays between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. Contact Marci Hawks at 316-269-0755 or 316-619-2227.