Kiowa County / Greensburg Update February 26 - March 3, 2012
COMMUNITY APPRECIATION DESSERT!
On March 1st, Youth for Christ is hosting a Community Appreciation Dessert from 7 – 8 p.m. It is at the YFC Building located at 211 E. Garfield, Greensburg.
A short presentation, including a video and student testimonies will be presented. This is not a fundraiser. This is a time to celebrate and update you on the ministry of Youth for Christ.
If you would like to attend, please RSVP to Deborah Factor at 620-723-2727. Please leave a message. We hope to see you there!
Bethel Mennonite Youth is sponsoring a fajita supper on Friday, March 2 at 6:30 p.m. Location is the Community Building, 720 North Bay Street, Greensburg.
GREENSBURG AREA COMMUNITY THEATRE
Join the exciting, once in a lifetime theatre experience, where new 10-minute plays are written, directed, rehearsed and performed all in 24 hours!
The 24 hour Plays will be held March 2nd and 3rd at the Youth for Christ Teen Center, 211 E. Garfield, Greensburg.
If you would like to participate as an actor, director, writer or tech, contact Kim McMurry and join us Friday night!
If you would like to be in the audience, come to the YFC Teen Center at 8 p.m. on Saturday, March 3rd for an evening of live theatre!
CALLING ALL COOKS
Sonshine and Rainbows Discovery Center is collecting recipes from family and friends and will compile them into an attractive keepsake cookbook.
They will be collecting recipes until April 15th. Forms for contributing recipes may be picked up at the center or the First United Methodist Church office (both are located at 600 W Lincoln, Greensburg) or email email@example.com. These one-of-a-kind cookbooks may be ordered by calling 723-3324 or 723-3338.
BIG WELL MUSEUM INTERVIEWS
We are looking for your stories for the new Big Well Museum! March 1st 1-5pm and March 2nd 9am-Noon, come record (audio only) your stories about the Big Well, history of Greensburg, and the tornado. Interviews are very short, we just need 10-15 minutes of your time.
Please call Stacy at 723.4102 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to set up your time.
ICHD CHILI COOK-OFF & BROWNIE BATTLE
Iroquois Center for Human Development, Inc. will be sponsoring a Chili Cook-Off and Brownie Contest on Friday, March 2, 2012 at the First United Methodist Church in Greensburg. (PLEASE NOTE THAT THE LOCATION HAS BEEN CHANGED). Tasting and judging will be from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. with a chili feed to follow at 7:00 p.m. until the chili runs out.
Prizes will be given for Grand Champion, Champion, Reserve Champion (judge’s decision) and a People’s Choice Award. Categories include: Mild, Medium, Outrageous, “You Call It”, and Brownies. There is a $20.00 entry fee (sponsors are welcome). Tickets are $5.00 each for all you can eat chili, and this buys one vote for the People’s Choice Award. Additional votes can be purchased for three for a dollar. Other concessions will also be available.
For entry forms and/or more information, contact Stephanie Salisbury, LMSW, Team Leader, Transitional Living Centers (TLC), Iroquois Center, 610 East Grant Avenue, Greensburg, or call 620-723-2272. This benefits the center’s Community Support TLC Programs.
REGISTER NOW FOR WALK KANSAS
The 2012 Walk Kansas program is scheduled to begin March 18th and run through May 12th. Registration will begin February 15 through the 24th.
Walk Kansas encourages friends, family, neighbors and co-workers to form teams of six to walk the 423 mile distance from Kansas’ east to west borders.
The personal challenge is to add 30 minutes of physical activity five or more days a week for a total of 150 minutes a week.
Cost to enroll in the eight-week program is $8.00 and includes registration, weekly newsletters with food, nutrition, health tips and recipes. There will be a celebration of success with prizes for participants after the conclusion of the program.
To register a team or for more information, call the Kiowa County Extension office at 620-723-2156 or stop by our office in the Kiowa County Commons, 320 S. Main St., Greensburg from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill charges $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first and third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
· The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komotara Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Historical Society meetings are held on the 4th Thursdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Conference Room.
· The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held on the 1st Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Media Center, located in the Commons Building. Please contact Jan West at 723-1117 for more information.
· The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Commons Conference room or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
· The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please call 723-2272 for more information.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Friends Church is located at 205 N. Kingman, Haviland. Sunday School and Adult classes 9:30am; Congregational Worship 10:30am; Wednesday 5:30pm Community meal; 6pm Faith Weaver Friends (K-5), Jr. High Youth Group; 8pm High School Youth Group
· Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
· Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.