Kiowa County / Greensburg January 2 - 8, 2011
Public Information Update
Sunday, January 2, – Saturday, January 8, 2011
COUNTY GOVERNMENT OFFICES
Offices for Kiowa County will be closed on Friday, December 31st in observance of the New Year’s holiday. Offices will resume normal business hours on Monday, January 3, 2011.
LAST DAY FOR CITY TRASH PICKUP
Monday, January 3rd will be the last day for Greensburg City trash pickup. The City will also pick up trash carts on that day.
MASTER GARDENERS CLASSES TO BE HELD
The Extension Master Gardener program, provided by K-State Research and Extension Service, will be conducting its annual Basic Training class in Southwest Kansas. This unique training is for anyone with a sincere interest and a strong desire to increase their knowledge of horticulture and a willingness to help their fellow citizens through various educational programs and activities.
The 2011 curriculum for the Master Gardener training will include the following core subjects: basic botany, soil science, lawn care, trees and shrubs, fruit and vegetable production, plant pathology – general principles and diagnostics, insects of horticulture plants, annual and perennial flowers, landscape design and maintenance, proper and safe use of chemicals and more.
Enrollment is $85 per person which includes all training materials. In addition to the registration, participants agree to give 40 hours of volunteer service back to their local K-State Research and Extension county program.
The 2011 Master Gardener trainings will be taught in the High Plains Journal Media Center in Dodge City, Kansas. The classes will be held each Wednesday in February and March, beginning on February 2nd. Classes begin at 9:00 a.m. and conclude at 4:00 p.m. each day. Total instruction for the Master Gardener Basic training will be 40 hours. Each session will break for lunch. Class attendance is mandatory for the participant to be certified as an Extension Master Gardener and all missed classes must be made up.
The number of applicants accepted into the program is limited to 30. Each applicant will be notified by mail regarding the status of their registration shortly after the January 18th registration deadline. As the number of applicants may exceed the class limitation, a screening process is necessary for the class. Completeness of your application and commitment to become a qualified Extension Master Gardener is a strong requirement to be approved for the training program.
Extension Master Gardener training is an excellent opportunity to broaden your horticultural education and to gain personal satisfaction by providing educational programming to youth and adults in your community.
To obtain an application for the training, contact the Extension office at 620-723-2156.
KANSAS WEATHERIZATION ASSISTANCE
The Interfaith Housing Services Inc. is offering the Kansas Weatherization Assistance Program to qualified residents in Kiowa County.
The Weatherization Program is the nation’s largest residential energy efficiency program. Very simply, weatherization improves heating, efficiency and fuel savings by ensuring that homes hold heat and air-conditioning in, while keeping the hot and cold air out. At no charge to the client, eligible households receive a comprehensive home assessment including repair or replacement of heating systems, insulation and caulking.
Other counties eligible for the HIS Weatherization Assistance Program include: Barton, Clark, Comanche, Edwards, Finney, Ford, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Hamilton, Haskell, Hodgeman, Kearny, Lane, Meade, Morton, Ness, Pawnee, Rush, Scott, Seward, Stanton, Stevens, and Wichita.
Eligibility is based on household income relative to federal low-income guidelines. If eligibility guidelines are met, renters and homeowners alike may apply for the weatherization services. If a household member received Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Temporary Assistance for Need Families (TANF), the household is considered automatically eligible.
More information about the weatherization program, contact Laura Stoltenberg at the Kiowa County Housing Authority at 620-723-1097.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is meeting at their facility located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Wellsford Community Church is meeting at the church in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.