Kiowa County / Greensburg Oct. 31 - Nov. 6, 2010
Public Information Update
Sunday, October 31, – Saturday, November 6, 2010
POST OFFICE CLOSED FOR VETERAN’S DAY
The Greensburg Post Office will be closed on Thursday, November 11, in observance of Veterans Day. No mail delivery, no retail services. Mail WILL be collected from the blue collection box located outside the Post Office at the regularly scheduled time.
KIOWA COUNTY OFFICES CLOSED FOR VETERAN’S DAY
The Kiowa County Courthouse will be closed on Thursday, November 11th in observance of Veteran’s Day. The offices will be open at 8 a.m. on Friday morning with regular office hours.
ART CLASSES AT 5.4.7 ARTS CENTER
· Two Session Hand-built Ceramics –
Session 1: Come and make your own handmade ceramic piece from wet clay. Bring your own idea or learn to make a bowl, house numbers, wind chimes, etc. The possibilities are endless.
Session 2: Finish the piece you made in session 1 by glazing. Please plan to attend both sessions in order to get the most out of this workshop!
$20.00 per person, includes all materials and firings
Monday, November 15/November 22 from 7 – 9 p.m.
· Christmas Ornaments with Family and Friends –
This is a family and friends class for adults and children to work together to create new holiday ornaments from clay! No kids? Bring a friend and come have fun!
$20 per pair/ $5 for each additional person, includes all materials and firings
2 sessions to choose from: Saturday, November 20th from 10 – 11:30 a.m. or 1 – 2:30 p.m.
· Papermaking/Handmade Holiday Cards –
In this 2 session class you will recycle old paper to make new handmade papers. In the 2nd session we will use our new paper to make handmade holiday cards. Start saving used paper (newspapers, school paper, tissue paper, etc.) and bring it with you to recycle. We will also need some old pantyhose and items to add to your papers such as leaves, petals, fruit rinds, glitter or food coloring. Please plan to attend both sessions to get the most out of this workshop!
$15 per person
Wednesday, Dec. 1 / Dec. 8 from 6:30 – 8 p.m.
For more information or to register for thaeclasses, please contact Stacy Barnes at 620-723-2600 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FUMC FITNESS CENTER
The United Methodist Church has a Fitness Center that is open to the public. It is located in room 7 on the lower floor and can be accessed through the main entrance or through the southwest door by the daycare. Hours are 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Monday – Saturday. Please fill out a liability release form and sign in and out.
Ducks Unlimited will be having a banquet on Saturday, November 13th at the Kiowa County Community Center, 720 N. Bay St., Greensburg. The Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. with the dinner being served at 7 p.m.
Contact Brandon Hosheit (620-770-1119), Chance Little (620-474-1232) or Stacey Hosheit (620-242-5245) for more information.
KIOWA COUNTY HEALTH FOUNDATION
The Kiowa County Health Foundation would like to invite you to the 22nd Annual Dinner Meeting of the Kiowa County Health Foundation. It will be held on Saturday, November 13, 2010 at the First United Methodist Church, 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg, Kansas. A free will donation will be accepted. Dinner will be served at 6:30 p.m.
There will be an opportunity to meet and visit with Kiowa County Health Care providers from the various health organizations in Kiowa County. These include Great Plains Health Alliance, Kiowa County Memorial Hospital, Iroquios Center for Human Development, Kiowa County Health Department, Greensburg Family Practice, Haviland Clinic, South Wind Hospice, Carriage House and Home Again Senior Living. Organizations will be giving updates. Dr. Jennifer Cook, Docs Who Care physician, will also be speaking.
Foundation scholarship recipients will also be recognized.
There will also be a presentation recapping the Foundation events and projects for 2010. We will discuss future projects and direction. An election for vacated positions of the Board of Directors will be held.
Please help plan for the future of health care in Kiowa County by attending and supporting this important event. Please call 723-3341 to R.S.V.P. before November 8, 2010. We hope to see you there.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is meeting at their facility located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Wellsford Community Church is meeting at the church in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.