Kiowa County / Greensburg July 25 - 31, 2010
Public Information Update
Sunday, July 25, – Saturday, July 31, 2010
KIOWA COUNTY FAIR SCHEDULE
Friday, July 23
(Triangle Rodeo Club Arena)
7:00 p.m. ATV Rodeo
Saturday, July 24
(Triangle Rodeo Club Arena)
9:00 a.m. Horse Show
2:00 p.m. Tractor Pull
6:00 – 7:30p.m. Meal sponsored by Gamble Farms, Tyree Ag, and Mackie Shae Boutique
7:30 p.m. Pedal Pull
Sunday, July 25
(Kiowa County Gun Club)
3:00 p.m. Parent/Youth Trap Shoot
6:00 p.m. Hamburger Feed with covered side dish supper.
Monday, July 26
(Kiowa County Fairgrounds)
8:00a.m. – Noon Livestock Weigh – In
8:00a.m. – Noon Building Project Check In
1:00 – 6:00 p.m. Building Project Judging
2:00p.m. Hand Pet Show (Dog/Cat)
3:00p.m. Rabbit & Poultry Show
5:30p.m. Turtle Race
6:00 p.m. Food Sale
6:00 – 7:30p.m. Meal sponsored by Shank Chevrolet and Carriage House
7:30 p.m. Sheep and Goat Show
Tuesday, July 27
(Kiowa County Fairgrounds)
9:00a.m. Swine Show
10:30 a.m. Livestock Judging Contest
2:00p.m. Demonstration /Public Speaking Contest
1:00 – 4:00 p.m. Super Cow/Calf Contest Weigh-in
6:00 – 7:30p.m. Meal sponsored by Heft & Sons, LLC
7:00 p.m. Ice Cream Social sponsored by Peoples Insurance
7:30p.m. Horse Show Speed Events & Rough Stock Rodeo Events sponsored by Triangle Rodeo Club
Wednesday, July 28
(Kiowa County Fairgrounds)
9:00a.m. Beef Show
11:00a.m. Round Robin
2:00p.m. Super Cow/Calf Contest
6:00 – 7:30p.m. BBQ sponsored by Farmer’s Cooperative, Southern Plains COOP, ADM Grain, RCA, Haviland State Bank, Greensburg State Bank, Centera Bank, Peoples Bank, and Mullinville State Bank
6:00 – 7:30 p.m. Watermelon Feed sponsored by Kiowa County Farm Bureau
7:30p.m. Costumed Pet Parade
7:45 p.m. Community Buildling Ribbon Cutting
8:00 p.m. 4-H Livestock Auction
MOVIES ON THE LAWN
The 5.4.7 Arts Center will be sponsoring the movie Toy Story 2 on Saturday, July 24th at 9 p.m. Come early for sidewalk chalk and to see the exhibit in the gallery. Free-will donation for the movie. Popcorn and pop for sale. Bring your lawn chair, blankets and bug spray! See you there!
BOY SCOUT CABIN DEDICATION
The Greensburg Boy Scout, Cub Scout and Girl Scout troops would like to invite you to attend the Dedication of their new Scout Cabin on Sunday, August 15th from 2 – 4 p.m. The Scout Cabin is located at 219 W. Florida Avenue. Refreshments will be served.
BIG WELL MUSEUM FEEDBACK
The City of Greensburg and Greensburg City Council would like your feedback on the current Big Well Museum design!
Building Specifications: 6800 square foot facility
Current Bids: $3,160,000
Original Budget: $3,000,000
Please submit your comments by July 30th. Comments will be forwarded to City Council Members. Submission of comments can be mailed to: Greensburg City Hall, 300 S. Main St., Greensburg, KS 67054 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your feedback is important, please let us know what you think!
RIBBON CUTTING AT BARCLAY COLLEGE
You are invited to join us for a Kiowa County Chamber of Commerce Member Ribbon Cutting at Barclay College!
Please come and help us celebrate the ribbon cutting of Lewis Hall located at 209 E. Cherry Street in Haviland on Sunday, August 8th at 3 p.m.
For more information, contact Bob Wetmore at 620-723-3188 or e-mail: email@example.com.
CALLING ALL KIDS – SUMMER ART CLASSES
The 5.4.7 Arts Center will be hosting a series of Arts Classes for kids every Wednesday from 3 – 4:30 p.m. beginning June 2nd through August 4th at the Arts Center, 204 W. Wisconsin.
July 28 – Andy Goldsworthy Themed Workshop FREE!
August 4 – Painting Landscapes FREE!
For more information or to register for a class, e-mail Stacy Barnes at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 620-723-2600.
CALLING ALL ADULTS – SUMMER ART CLASSES
The 5.4.7 Arts Center will be hosting a series of Arts Classes for adults every Wednesday from 6:30 - 8 p.m. at the Arts Center, 204 W. Wisconsin. The class series will be the same as the youth classes, except for July 21st where the class will be changed to a more adult oriented class. For more information or to register for a class, e-mail Stacy Barnes at email@example.com or call 620-723-2600.
KIOWA COUNTY EXHIBIT AT THE KS STATE FAIR
If your club, organization, not-for-profit, or business would like to participate in the Kiowa County exhibit at the Kansas State Fair - Sept. 10-19, please contact Sue Greenleaf at 620-723-2987
This year's exhibit will feature the Media Center HDTV trailer and display areas for Mullinville, Greensburg, and Haviland. A county-wide video will highlight all Main Streets and interesting features throughout the county. We are forming crews now to help construct the exhibit area, design and gather materials for displays, set up and break down the exhibit, and volunteer to man the exhibit. Call now to receive your exhibit packet. All forms must be returned to Sue or Janet by August 3.
LET'S GO TO THE STATE FAIR! This year's theme: "Picture Yourself in Kiowa County!"
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is meeting at their facility located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.