Kiowa County / Greensburg April 1 - 7, 2012
COUNTY OFFICES CLOSED
In observation of the Easter Holiday, the Kiowa County Offices will be closed on Friday, April 6th. Regular office hours will resume on Monday, April 9th.
Tragedy to Triumph...5 years later
· Community Meal 7p.m.
· Memorial Service 9p.m.
· 5K Fun/Run Walk 8 a.m. registration
· Golf Tournament
· Norman Rockwell Exhibit 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
· Larry Schwarm Exhibit Art Walk
· Meteorologist Mike Smith Presentation
· Kite Festival
· Greensburg Play Project - Concert Performance 7:30 p.m.
· Community Worship Service
and much more...
Visit greensburgks.org for current schedule of events.
COUNTY WIDE GARAGE SALE
Households interested in being part of the county-wide garage sale on June 9th should contact Haley Kern at (785) 259-1681 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to sign up is May 11th.
5K Fun Run/Walk
As part of the Tragedy to Triumph…5 years Later Celebration, the First Baptist Church will be hosting a 5K Fun Run/ Walk. Registration and waiver forms can be downloaded from the website greensburgks.org. Hard copies of the forms are available for pick up at the Kiowa County Commons Building, 320 S. Main in the Kiowa County Library.
The Fun Run will be broken into 2 categories – male and female with 4 age groups per category – Grade school, Junior/Senior High School, Adult 19 – 34 years old, Adult 35 years and older. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 runners in each division.
Pre-registration for the Fun Run/Walk will cost $10 per individual or $25 per family. On site registration will be $15 per individual and $30 per family. Children are welcome to ride their bikes beside their families.
For more information, call 620-723-2747.
TRACTOR SAFETY TRAINING
A Tractor Safety Training program will be held for youth 14 and 15 years of age on Saturday, April 28th at the Pratt Community College. All youth working in the Ag Sector outside the family farm are required to complete such a course. Registration forms can be picked up in the Kiowa County Extension Office. Registration deadline is April 13th. Space is limited to register early.
TWILIGHT THEATRE CAN COLLECTION
The Twilight Theatre is still collecting aluminum cans to raise funds. The bin is hidden by construction, but the bin is located east of the alley behind the theater building by the construction trailer and POD. Your contribution of pop cans is greatly appreciated!
CALLING ALL COOKS
Sonshine and Rainbows Discovery Center is collecting recipes from family and friends and will compile them into an attractive keepsake cookbook. They will be collecting recipes until April 15th. Forms for contributing recipes may be picked up at the center or the First United Methodist Church office (both are located at 600 W Lincoln, Greensburg) or email email@example.com. These one-of-a-kind cookbooks may be ordered by calling 723-3324 or 723-3338.
KIOWA COUNTY HEALTH ON FACEBOOK
To introduce our Facebook page to more people, we are going to offer an incentive during the month of March. On April 10, we are going to draw 2 names from our "Like this" list our "Kiowa County Health" and will offer them FREE lab work for our annual upcoming Health Fair, April 21st. So encourage friends that live in the area to go to our Facebook page and click on "Like this".
PICTORIAL CANCELLATION AT POST OFFICE
The Greensburg Post Office will be holding a special Pictorial Cancellation in conjunction with Greensburg's five year anniversary of re-building following the tornado of May 4th, 2007. The cancellation will be held at the Post Office, 139 N. Main Street, from 1PM to 4PM on Friday, May 4, 2012. The cancellation will consist of a symbol resembling a tornado funnel, with the wording: "EF-5 Tornado 5-4-7, "struck down but not destroyed", Greensburg KS 67054, Anniversary Station, May 04, 2012". The Post Office will have on hand an assortment of First Class stamps, special one-time-only stamped post cards with images of Greensburg, as well as Go-Green retail products. An image of the postmark may be viewed in the Post Office lobby during regular business hours.
Requests for the cancellation may be made by mail only, accompanied by your envelope or postcard bearing First Class postage, for up to 30 days following the date of the event.
The Kiowa County Chamber of Commerce will host a forum with Kansas State Senator Ruth Teichman and State Representative Kyle Hoffman at 9 a.m. on Sunday, May 27th at the 5.4.7 Arts Center in Greensburg
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill charges $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
· The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm at the Senior Center (431 S. Main) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Historical Society meetings are held on the 4th Thursdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Conference Room.
· The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held on the 1st Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Media Center, located in the Commons Building. Please contact Jan West at 723-1117 for more information.
· The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Commons Conference room or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
· The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please call 723-2272 for more information.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first and third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Friends Church is located at 205 N. Kingman, Haviland. Sunday School and Adult classes 9:30am; Congregational Worship 10:30am; Wednesday 5:30pm Community meal; 6pm Faith Weaver Friends (K-5), Jr. High Youth Group; 8pm High School Youth Group
· Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
· Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.