Kiowa County/Greensburg 12-20-07 to 1-1-08
Public Information Update
Thursday, December 20, 2007 – Tuesday, January 1, 2008
2008 will be Great for Greensburg Potluck Luncheon! Come join us on Friday, January 11th from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. at the Iroquois Coffee House. Bring your favorite dish to share. All are welcome to attend! Tableware will be provided.
COUNTY HEALTH FAIR
Kiowa County Health Department in conjunction with the Kiowa County Memorial Hospital will hold a small Health Fair on Thursday, January 10, 2008. The event will be held at the Carriage House, 723 S. Elm from 7 a.m. until 10 a.m. Comprehensive blood work will be drawn. Please pre-register for the health fair by calling the Kiowa County Health Department at 620-723-2136. The blood work will be free of charge to Kiowa County residents.
TOWN HALL MEETING
The Community-wide Public Meeting will be held on Thursday, December 20th at the Greensburg School Practice Gym beginning at 5 p.m. A State of the City address will be given by Steve Hewitt followed by a presentation by BNIM on Phase I of the Comprehensive Master Plan. A meal and childcare are will be provided.
All community members are asked to come and give feedback to the planning team on the Master Plan.
BIG WELL GIFT SHOP
The Big Well Shop has reopened! Hours are Tuesday – Friday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. The State Christmas ornament featuring Greensburg has arrived. New gift items are arriving daily so check back often to see our new selection.
CHRISTMAS COMMUNITY DINNER
A Greensburg Christmas Community Dinner has been planned for Sunday, December 23rd from 12p.m. – 2p.m. at the Greensburg School Practice Gym.
Volunteers are needed the weekend of December 15th to begin preparations for the festivities. Additionally, volunteers will be needed for set-up, serving and clean-up on December 23rd. If you would like to help please contact Melinda Kendall at 620-723-2671 or Connie Dawson at 620-723-2481 or 620-546-3173.
65 YEAR ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION
Myrt and Harold Horner have been married for 65 years. Please come celebrate with them at an Open House from 2 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. on December 23rd at the Hill Top House in Bucklin. Each guest in encouraged to bring a silk flower. For more information, contact Sharon Fleske at 620-285-5450 or Dora Gish at 360-537-6678.
BIKES FOR KIDS
Just in time for Christmas - Bikes for Kids program has some bikes available! The Bikes for Kids program provides reconditioned bicycles through the RC&D. If you are interested in getting a bike, please call Donna at the Natural Resource Conservation Office at 620-723-2146. The Conservation District office is located at 122 East Illinois, Greensburg.
CANDY CANE LANE OPEN
Although the tornado destroyed some of the previous decorations, Candy Cane Lane opened on December 15th! Each evening through December 26th, residents are welcome to enjoy this long-standing Christmas tradition. Visitors are welcome from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
SCKTRO welcomes anyone who has electrical, plumbing, or interior finish skills to volunteer by signing up at the Greensburg office on the east edge of Davis Park. This is an opportunity to help your neighbors and friends with their repair/rebuilding needs.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. .
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays.
· Moving out of Keller Estates? Notify city hall so utilities can be shut off. Without notification, the City will continue to bill for water and electricity.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located directly west of the courthouse square.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
· North Landfill will only accept clean concrete. If the concrete has any metal or other debris mixed then it must go to the South Landfill.
Have you missed gathering with friends over coffee? Then come reunite with friends and neighbors over free coffee Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. at the Iroquois Center Annex Building, located just behind the Iroquois Center at 610 E. Grant St. For more information, call 620-723-2272.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Church starts at 10 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call 620-388-4952 or 620-672-8380 or 620-548-2249.
· First Christian Church is meeting at the Equity Exchange in Mullinville at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the temporary Kiowa County Memorial Hospital each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· Curfew Hours remain in effect. For youth under 16 years of age, 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. For youth 16 – 18 years of age, 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
· Treat ALL power lines as if they are live. Call 911 if you observe an arcing power line.
· Respiratory protection is recommended for all workers. Dust masks and safety glasses are available at the Health Department on the square.
· Burning is prohibited in the Greensburg city limits. In rural areas, follow county ordinances. Burning is strongly discouraged in high winds.
· Protect yourself with gloves, hard-soled shoes or boots. If you have a cut or scratch that does not heal normally, seek necessary medical attention.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
Greensburg AA meetings have resumed. Meetings are held on Wednesday nights at 8:00 p.m. at the Elmore Heights meeting room. For more information call 620-450-7496.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· Salvation Army warehouse has closed. Vouchers are still available. Contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located in the FEMA trailer E, located just southwest of the courthouse square. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. Please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering several housing reconstruction assistance programs. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) is a grant funded outreach project serving the counties of Kiowa, Edwards, Comanche, Pratt and Stafford. Call 785-313-6123 or 1-866-327-6578 or e-mail email@example.com with questions.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. For more information, call 620-862-5882 or stop by at 201 N. Main St., Haviland.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Come sign-up for volunteer assistance with clean-up and repair or reconstruction. For more information, call 620-862-5422.
· Hudson Oil Company, H.B. Hudson, founder will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank to pick up the application.
· JOBS IN GREENSBURG: Greensburg residents are being considered for employment. Those interested can visit the KansasWorks office at 123 E. Wisconsin, FEMA trailer E, or by calling Amber or Christina at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
· Sonshine and Rainbows Discovery Center is looking to hire a child care provider. You must be at 18 years old and love working with infants, toddlers and older children. Please call (620) 723-3324 or pick up an application at the temporary trailer located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg.
PUBLIC INFORMATION UPDATE
The Kiowa County / Greensburg Public Information Update will not be distributed from December 24th through January 1st. The bi-weekly newsletter will resume circulation on January 2nd. The last newsletter for 2007 will be distributed on Thursday, December 20th.