Kiowa County / Greensburg May 2 - 8, 2010
Public Information Update
Sunday, May 2, – Saturday, May 8, 2010
ANNIVERSARY WEEKEND EVENTS SCHEDULED
SUNDAY, MAY 2, 2010
· First United Methodist Church
o Dedication 9:30 a.m.
o Church dinner following service 11:30 a.m.
· 3rd Annual Greensburg Car Show, north end of Main St.
o 11 a.m. Registration
o 1:30 p.m. Trophies Awarded
o Free to Public, $20 entry per vehicle – all are welcome!
o Show will include alternative fuel & energy efficient vehicles as well as classic cars.
o Sponsored by the Greensburg High School Shop Program, contact Peter Kern for more information at 620-723-2164
· 5.4.7 Arts Center Open House 204 W. Wisconsin
o Art Display 1 – 4 p.m.
o Reception for Artists 2:30 p.m.
MAKE YOUR OWN RECYCLED PAPER CLASS
The 5.4.7 Arts Center will be hosing “Make Your Own Recycled Paper” classes for ages 7 and up. The free sessions will be held on:
· Session 1 will be Tuesday, May 4 at 6 p.m. – Playing with Pulp
· Session 2 will be Tuesday, May 11 at 6 p.m. – Creative Cards
For more information or to register for the class, stop by the Arts Center or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
GREENSBURG HIGH SCHOOL ALUMNI BANQUET
The Greensburg High School Alumni Banquet will be Saturday, May 29th, 6 p.m. at the Gym. Tickets are $12.50 and can be purchased at Greensburg State Bank. Ticket sales end May 21st and none sold at the door.
LADIES DAY OF PAPMPERING
The Ladies’ Pampering day has MOVED to Saturday, May 15th. Join us from 10:00 to 1:00 at Lighthouse Worship Center for spas, shopping and a light lunch! Please call 723-3028 to RSVP for your spa services (manicure OR pedicure, shoulder/neck massage, private session with a licensed therapist) before the spaces are filled.
GHS ALUMNI REUNION PICNIC
Everyone is invited to the GHS Alumni Reunion Picnic, Saturday, May 29th at Davis Park.
Please bring your lawn chairs - your picnic lunch - and plan to spend the afternoon visiting with old friends and classmates. Any time after the Parade is finished will be good.
If you have questions - e-mail Susan Tucker McGuire (GHS 1963) at email@example.com
GLOW TOWN ART PROJECT
During the week of May 17-21 (the last week of school) your child will have the opportunity to participate in something very exciting! Our school is not able to provide an art program for elementary students; however, from time to time an opportunity like this presents itself to us—and greatly benefits kids!!
Sharon Louden, a nationally recognized artist from New York City will be visiting Greensburg that week to do a special art workshop named GlowTown. Students from 1st – 8th grade (and the high school art students) will get to construct their ideal town out of ordinary items and glow-in-the-dark paint. When the lights are turned off, the town will be transformed! This will be an excellent exercise in creativity, problem solving and team-work.
Ms. Louden’s goal is to teach students that art can be created from the simplest of materials, but we need your help collecting supplies! We will need neutral-colored items such as empty paper-towel rolls, cotton swabs, cardboard, foam-core, popsicle sticks, tissue boxes, etc. Anything you can donate is greatly appreciated! Please drop them by the 5.4.7 Arts Center or send them with your child to school by May 10. Please let me know if you have any questions!
Thank you so much for helping to make this workshop possible for our kids!
Jerry Barlow, Celtic Guitarist, will be providing a benefit concert on Saturday, May 29th at 8 p.m. at the 5.4.7 Arts Center. A wine and cheese reception & Artwork raffle is also scheduled for the event.
Tickets are $15 per person or $25 per couple. Proceeds go to support the 5.4.7 Arts Center and the Kiowa County Media Center.
NEW YORK SAYS THANK YOU FUN RUN
Many of you will remember that in September of 2008 over 300 volunteers from across the country lead by New York Firefighters came to Greensburg to be part of an “American Barn Raising” at the Kiowa County Fairgrounds. This year the New York Says Thank You Foundation will travel to Mena, Arkansas to help rebuild a community that was devastated by a tornado on April 9, 2009. This 9/11 Anniversary Build will be the largest volunteer project as we prepare to rebuild a community by constructing 5 homes and rebuilding a 4-H Extension Office. On Saturday, May 29, 2010, a Greensburg "Paying it Forward" Benefit will take place in Greensburg to help raise money for this year’s NYSTY Build. We will have stops at various businesses throughout Greensburg where items will be raffled off or for silent auction. The Benefit is open to anyone whether you are on foot, in a car or on motorcycle. Wristbands will be available and will include the free noon meal at the 4-H Fair Grounds and a t-shirt. If you would like your business to be involved, would like to donate items, donate money or generally help out, contact John Stoltenberg, event coordinator, at 620-255-3283 or Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is meeting at their facility located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1200 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.