Kiowa County / Greensburg Update November 27 - Decmeber 3, 2011
Barclay College will present a Christmas Musical at Hockett Auditorium, Haviland on Saturday, December 3rd at 7 p.m. and Sunday, December 4th at 3 and 7 p.m.
Outstanding music, live animals and more! Bring the whole family and make this a Christmas tradition!
For more information, contact Ryan Haase at 620-862-5252 ext. 41.
ONE ACT PLAY
The Kiowa County High School Drama & Forensics is proud to present “Cricket County Academy” a one-act play by Eddie McPherson on Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 7:30 p.m. at the Mullinville Auditorium.
Special guest performance by the Iron Mountain String Band!
Tickets are $3 and must be purchased prior to December 1st. Contact a drama student for more information!
SENIOR CENTER PUBLIC MEETING
The Kiowa County Council on Aging is holding a special public meeting on Wednesday, December 7 at 1 pm at the Methodist Church in Greensburg (600 W. Lincoln) to seek public input for the landscaping design and outdoor amenities at the new Kiowa County Senior Center. A representative from K-State Research and Extension will be on hand to facilitate. All Kiowa County residents are invited to attend.
Please let us know ahead of time (723-2288) if you’d also like to join us for lunch (lasagna) at noon.
COMMUNITY CHRISTMAS CONCERT
The United Methodist ladies are going to host a Community Christmas Concert featuring the Faith Ringers Bell choir.
Mark your calendar for December 7, 2011 at 7 pm. Bring a friend or neighbor and start your Christmas season with some special music.
Holiday Home Tours 2011
This year's Holiday Home Tours will be:
Debby and Farrell Allison 214 S. Cherry Dr.
Mary Sweet 603 S. Spruce
Jill and Scott Eller 200 S. Grove
Erica and Gary Goodman 148 S. Main
Tickets are $7 and can be purchased from any Theatre Board Member or at the door. Proceeds to benefit the Twilight Theatre project. For more information, call 620-723-1112.
CHRISTMAS ON MAIN STREET 2011
On Sunday, December 4th Greensburg will celebrate it’s Annual Christmas on Main Street. Events Include:
· Home for the Holidays Craft & Vendor Fair: 12 – 5:30 p.m. at the Greensburg Rec. Center
· Holiday Home Tours 2 – 6 p.m.
· Rotary Christmas Parade: 6 p.m., down Main Street
· FCA Annual Soup Supper at Kiowa County Schools Cafeteria, Free Will Donation, After the Parade
· Caroling by Alliance
· Santa Photos
· Santa and Mrs. Claus at the Media Center Television Studio 2 – 5 p.m.
· Kiowa County Historical Museum and Soda Fountain will be open 2 – 5 p.m. Free admission to the museum, drawings for gift certificates, the Soda Fountain will be offering a special sundae to celebrate the holidays.
· Main Street Businesses having specials Saturday and/or Sunday
o Real Deals: Saturday only 20% off storewide
o Big Well Gift Shop: Saturday 9-5, Sunday 12-5, in store specials
o Where’d Ya Find That: Sunday 12 – 6, 30% off storewide
o Turquoise Ranch: Saturday 10 -5, Sunday 12 – 5, win a gift certificate!
o Main Street Flowers: Saturday 10-5, Sunday 12 – 6, storewide sale, win a poinsettia
o Studio 54: Sunday 1-4, in store specials and refreshments
o LaTerra Naturals: Saturday 10-5, Sunday 1-4, in store specials
o Mackie Shae Boutique: Sunday 12-6, In store specials
o GreenTown Visitors Center: Sunday 1-4 eco-friendly Christmas ideas & refreshments
o Shattuck Law: Sunday 3-5, open house
o Starla’s Stich & Frame: Sunday 12-6, in store specials
o Fleener Furniture: Sunday 1-5, in store specials, win coupons
SANTA & MRS. CLAUS AT THE MEDIA CENTER
The Media Center is hosting Santa and Mrs. Claus for the Holiday Open House on Dec. 4. This coincides with the Holiday Open House and Parade activities on Sunday.
We will offer parents a snaphot video with Santa with an intro and final slide that say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays." If we post it on YouTube or on Facebook, it will be $5. If we burn a DVD, it will be $8.
MEDICARE PART D ENROLLMENT
The Annual Enrollment Period for Part D medicine insurance is OCTOBER 15 – DECEMBER 7. This is earlier than previous years. All Medicare beneficiaries who wish to enroll, review, or change their plans can do so during this time. Please contact the S.H.I.C.K. representative for Kiowa County—Carolyn Irvin will be available beginning Oct. 17th
Monday through Thursday after 3p at the hospital; Fridays at Haviland to November 4th which she will not be available and the next two Fridays will be in Greensburg. The Clinics will be closed on Nov. 25th for the Thanksgiving holiday.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill charges $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
· The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komotara Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
· The Kiowa County Historical Society meetings are held the 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Conference Room.
· The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Thursdays at 7 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Building. Please contact Jan West at 723-3181 for more information.
· The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Commons Conference room or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
· The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please call 723-2272 for more information.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
· Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.