Kiowa County/Greensburg 11-26-07 to 11-28-07
Public Information Update
Monday, November 26 – Wednesday, November 28, 2007
A Christmas Festival will be held at the SCKTRO Dining Hall located at 611 W. Illinois (north of the MASH hospital) on December 1st from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Christmas Trees and decorations donated by the city of Fairview will be distributed. Venders will be present for Christmas shopping. Santa Clause will be there to hear what the children want for Christmas.
PRAIRIE LAND FOODS
Prairie Land Foods is a Kansas based program that is committed to helping others and to give the opportunity to volunteers to stretch their food dollars. Volunteer work is anything you do out of kindness and do not get paid for.
The sign-up for the December food packs is through December 2nd.
Contact the Health Department at 620-723-3156, Extension Office at 620-723-2156, or District Court at 620-723-3317 for more information. Stop by to sign-up for a food pack.
LIGHTED CHRISTMAS PARADE
Rotary of Greensburg is up and running. We started a tradition several years ago of sponsoring the Lighted Christmas Parade and we are determined to again. We are planning for December 2nd. So put on your thinking caps and light something up for the parade! Contact Greg Waters, Tom Corns, or Carmen Renfrow for an entry.
The Car Quest Auto Parts store across Kansas held a clothing drive for Greensburg. The clothing has arrived to the Greensburg Farm Supply store located at 133 N. Oak. Clothing is for male and female, all sizes from small children to adult. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Please come by and help yourself. If you have questions please call the store at 620-723-2171.
Applications for the Angel Tree will are available at all the banks in Mullinville, Greensburg and Haviland and the Kiowa County Health Department. Additionally, the cafes in Mullinville and Haviland will have applications. If you have questions, contact Mary Mayhew at 620-723-3338.
Greensburg AA meetings have resumed. Meetings are held on Wednesday nights at 8:00 p.m. at the Elmore Heights meeting room. For more information, contact Gene Bender at 620-450-7496.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. .
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays.
· Moving out of Keller Estates? Notify city hall so utilities can be shut off. Without notification, the City will continue to bill for water and electricity.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located directly west of the courthouse square.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
· North Landfill will only accept clean concrete. If the concrete has any metal or other debris mixed then it must go to the South Landfill.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Church starts at 10 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Henning at 620-388-0518.
· First Christian Church is meeting at the Equity Exchange in Mullinville at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the temporary Kiowa County Memorial Hospital each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· Curfew Hours remain in effect from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m.
· Treat ALL power lines as if they are live. Call 911 if you observe an arcing power line.
· Respiratory protection is recommended for all workers. Dust masks and safety glasses are available at the Health Department on the square.
· Burning is prohibited in the Greensburg city limits. In rural areas, follow county ordinances. Burning is strongly discouraged in high winds.
· Protect yourself with gloves, hard-soled shoes or boots. If you have a cut or scratch that does not heal normally, seek necessary medical attention.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
· JOBS IN GREENSBURG: Greensburg residents are being considered for employment. Those interested can visit the KansasWorks Mobile Center on the square, or by calling Amber or Christina at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
· FEMA positions remain open to residents living within 50 miles of Greensburg and within 50 miles of Wichita. Specialty positions for planning and geographical information systems (GIS) are needed. More information about the open positions, call 620-723-4423 or 601-818-7515 or www.kansasjoblink.com .
· Sonshine and Rainbows Discovery Center is looking to hire a child care provider. You must be at 18 years old and love working with infants, toddlers and older children. Please call (620) 723-3324 or pick up an application at the temporary trailer located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· Salvation Army warehouse has closed. Vouchers are still available. Contact Billie Taylor at 620-388-4685.
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located in the FEMA trailer E, located just southwest of the courthouse square. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. Please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering several housing reconstruction assistance programs. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) is a grant funded outreach project serving the counties of Kiowa, Edwards, Comanche, Pratt and Stafford. Call 785-313-6123 or 1-866-327-6578 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. For more information, call 620-862-5882 or stop by at 201 N. Main St., Haviland.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Come sign-up for volunteer assistance with clean-up and repair or reconstruction. For more information, call 620-862-5422.
· Hudson Oil Company, H.B. Hudson, founder will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank to pick up the application.