Kiowa County / Greensburg 8-25-08 to 9-1-08
Public Information Update
Monday, August 25, 2008 – Monday, September 1, 2008
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MEETING
The next Business Development training session will be held on Tuesday, August 26th. Pat Veesart, Garden City Community College will be presenting “Employment Practices.” The training sessions are co-sponsored by the Kiowa County Extension Office and the Small Business Development Center. There is no charge for the workshop and all businesses are encouraged to attend. The Business Development Group is sponsored by Kiowa County Chamber of Commerce and the Kiowa County Public Square.
Call Jeanette Siemens (620-770-0233 ) or Steve Kirk (620-723-3356) for more information.
COMMUNITY BUILDING GROUND BREAKING
The Kiowa County Commissioners would like to invite everyone to attend the ground breaking for the community building on the new fairgrounds located on North Bay Street on Tuesday, August 26th at 9:30 a.m.
CITY SEWER LINING PROJECT
The City of Greensburg is in the process of a sewer lining project in the city limits. Periodically, you may notice an odor when the crew is in your neighborhood. This odor is not harmful. Cleaning of the sewer lines also continues. If you see the crew in your area, cover your toilets with trash bags and leave the lid closed to be safe. Please be aware that this project may take up to a year to complete. You may call the city office at 723-2751 if you need further information.
KANSASWORKS JOB OPPORTUNITIES
The KansasWorks office is located at 333 E. Kansas Ave. Stop by to pick up an employment application or by calling Amber at 620-723-2030. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
COURTHOUSE STORM SHELTER
The Kiowa County Courthouse will no longer be available as a storm shelter due to remodel construction. Reconstruction is anticipated to be completed by June 2009.
NEW YORK SAYS THANK YOU BUILD
The New York Says Thank You Foundation is coming to Greensburg on September 4th - 7th to help rebuild the 14,000 square foot 4-H Livestock Pavilion on the new fairgrounds. Local residents are asked to come work side-by-side the 300 volunteers coming from around the country for the Old Fashion Barn raising.
Schedule of Events:
Aug. 28 – 30 Drill and Set Poles for main build. (A small group of volunteers (6-8 people) are needed to help with this activity)
Sept. 4 Opening Ceremony and Community Meal 6 p.m. at the Build Site
Sept. 5 Barn Raising and Youth Activities 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Build Site
2nd Annual Greased Pig Contest 7 p.m. at the Triangle Rodeo Grounds
Sept. 6 Barn Raising and Youth Activities resume 8 a.m.
“Stars of Hope” Closing Ceremony 5 p.m.
Street Dance 7 p.m. at Davis Park
Sept. 7 Procession of Responders 8:30 a.m. up Bay Street to Fairgrounds
Community Celebration and Memorial Service 9 a.m. at Fairgrounds
Community Farewell Brunch 10:30 a.m. at Fairgrounds
If you are interested in being part of this historic event, please call the Extension Office at 620-723-2156.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located at 219 S. Oak.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
FARMERS MARKET EACH SATURDAY
Tell your friends and neighbors about the Market! Come on down to Davis Park on Saturday from 9 – 11 a.m.!
If you have something to sell, please contact Kiowa County Extension Agent Pam Muntz at 723-2156. For a list of items that can and cannot be sold at the Farmer’s Market, call Pam.
Vendors are responsible for bringing their own display tables and collecting their own sales tax. Each seller agrees to pay 10% of their day’s sales as their fee for doing business at the Market.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. The City website is www.greensburgks.org. Check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
· All mail for Greensburg City Delivery addresses is currently delivered through external boxes located at the Post Office, 139 N. Main St. When moving to an address served by the Greensburg Post Office, please notify the Post Office of your current address and obtain a key to your assigned box.
· CUSTOMERS MOVING TO NEW ADDRESSES: Please notify the Greensburg Post Office when moving. New addresses must be entered into the Address Management database in order to be recognized by the United States Postal Service. It is imperative that new addresses be recorded, as any mail for addresses not entered into the database can only be held for a maximum of ten days, after which time all mail will be returned to the sender with the endorsement: "Address Not Known". (DMM 1.2, 1.4)
· CUSTOMERS RETURNING TO EXISTING ADDRESSES: Please notify the Greensburg Post Office when you have returned to your former address.
· CUSTOMERS MOVING TO THE PRAIRIE POINTE AND OAKVIEW TOWN HOMES: Please notify the Post Office of your move. Because these addresses are assigned to specific mailbox units, it will be necessary for those already receiving mail through the local Post Office to turn in the keys to any current mailboxes, and obtain the appropriate mailbox keys.
· PRIOR POST OFFICE BOX CUSTOMERS: The Postal Service's AMS Database will begin to reject ALL Post Office Box addresses in the near future. All customers who have received mail via a Post Office Box are required to submit a change of address to a physical address as soon as possible. NO Post Office Box numbers may be retained after July 01, 2008.
· RURAL DELIVERY: Customers who meet delivery guidelines for rural delivery will be required to install a mailbox for receipt of mail at their physical address. Rural Route customers who do not meet delivery guidelines will be provided a free external mailbox at the Post Office. There are no plans at this time to re-introduce at-home delivery.
· No information is available as to future plans for a local Post Office facility.
· The United States Postal Service will continue to have a presence in the Greensburg community.
· For further assistance, please call Postmaster Randy Kelley at: (620)723-2341
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· First Christian Church is meeting at the SCKTRO Village at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the Greensburg Family Practice temporary facility each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information call Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located located at 122 E. Illinois. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. For more information, call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546.
· Salvation Army is located in the Barclay College Library. Office hours are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering several housing reconstruction assistance programs. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. Our main office is 201 N. Main, Haviland Kansas. The phone number is 620-862-5882. Our field office is at 615 Illinois in Greensburg; the phone number is 620-723-3155.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. For more information, call 620-862-5422.
· Hudson Oil Company will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank for an application.
· Habitat for Humanity has a Greensburg office located in FEMA trailer B, located SW of the courthouse square. Appointments are available on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact Marci Hawks at 316-269-0755 or 316-619-2227.