Kiowa County / Greensburg February 27 - March 5, 2011
Public Information Update
Sunday, February 27, – Saturday, March 5, 2011
LASAGNA LUNCH FUNDRAISER
The Kiowa County Maverick National Honor Society will be holding a Lasagna Lunch Fundraiser on Sunday, March 6th from 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. at the Kiowa County Schools Cafeteria. Free Will Donation!
The students are trying to raise money to support their upcoming service and educational trip to Oklahoma City.
ANNUAL ENCHILADA SUPPER
St. Joseph Catholic Church hosts annual Enchilada Sales.
$13 doz. Call Tracy @ 723-2840 or Lynette @ 723-3101 by Feb 24. The Mexican Supper will be March 6, 5-7pm. Carryouts available.
GIRL SCOUT COOKIES STILL AVAILABLE
You still have a chance to buy Girl Scout Cookies! Local Scouts will be selling cookies at Haviland State Bank on Monday, March 7, from 4:00 to 6:00 p.m.; and at Kook’s Meat on Saturday, March 12, from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
TREE PRUNING WORKSHOP
The Greensburg Tree Board and the Kansas Forest Service is offering a free tree pruning workshop for Kiowa County residents who wish to learn how to care for their trees. Proper care and pruning insures healthy, long lasting trees.
The hands-on workshop will feature John Klempa of the Kansas Forest Service and will be held on Saturday, March 12th at the Community Building located on the Kiowa County Fairgrounds in Greensburg. Registration will begin at 9 a.m.
For more information or if you have any questions, please call 620-546-3963.
TREE PLANTINGS IN GREENSBURG
Greensburg’s Tree Board recently completed work on a Tree Ordinance that has been approved by the City of Greensburg. Ordinance #957 sets guidelines and gives recommendations for the planting of trees that are conducive to our area. Its purpose is to help the citizens of Greensburg know the permits and regulations needed for any future planting, trimming and removal, and to set guidelines for the spacing of trees in relation to curbs, sidewalks and public right-of-ways within the city limits. It also includes a wide variety of shade and evergreen trees.
A complete list of trees with planting instructions, rate of growth and care information can be found at the Kiowa County Extension Office.
KIOWA COUNTY COUNCIL ON AGING
The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets the second Tuesday of each month at 3 pm in the Komatera Apartment conference room (810 S. Spruce) in Greensburg.
GREEN. SPRING. CLEAN
The City of Greensburg is facilitating a city wide spring clean-up called “Green. Spring. Clean” March 14 – 19, 2011.
The City is asking local citizens and/or volunteers to come together to make a difference in the appearance of our community. Your cooperation can happen the following ways:
· Volunteer Labor: raking, hauling, cutting, mowing, planting
· Equipment Use: trucks, chain saws, skid steer loaders, tractors, mowers, rakes, shovels, etc.
The City will provide a release form that will have to be filled out and signed by the property owner or the owner’s representative. No work will be done to any property without this release form. Also, a sign-up sheet will be provided for the types of work to be done on the properties.
Clean-up will be limited to the following items: debris removal, small foundations, slabs, tree removal/trimming, stump removal, minor dirt work to level lots, small structure demolition, hauling and removing of junk, removal of building materials not being used on projects.
The projects and the work to be done at each property will be coordinated and discussed with the property owner/representative before work will commence. It is desirable that the owner/representative be present at the property to oversee the work to be done.
For questions or comments about this week-long clean-up, please contact Paul DeWeese, City of Greensburg, by calling 620-7232751 or stop by City Hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is http://www.greensburgks.org/ check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is meeting at their facility located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Wellsford Community Church is meeting at the church in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.