Kiowa County / Greensburg Update September 26 - October 1, 2010
Public Information Update
Sunday, September 26, – Saturday, October 2, 2010
GREENSBURG COMMUNITY BLOOD DRIVE
The American Red Cross will be hosting a Community Blood Drive on Friday, October 1st from 11 a.m. – 5 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church in Greensburg.
All presenting donors will receive a Free Hat!
To schedule an appointment, call 1-800- 733-2767 or visit the website redcrossblood.org.
2ND ANNUAL 5.4.7 BENEFIT WINE TASTING
Mark your calendars! The 2nd Annual Wine Tasting Benefit will be held on Saturday, October 16th at 6:30 p.m.
Come sample and learn about several varieties of red and white wines, hors d’oeuvres, live music, artwork raffle and more!
Tickets for members will be $20 and $25 for non-members and MUST be purchased in advance. For tickets, please call 620-723-2600 or stop by the Arts Center during business hours or e-mail email@example.com.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
· City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running as North/South streets on Mondays and East/West streets on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
· Trash service is provided by the county. The West side of town is picked up on Tuesdays. The East side of town is picked up on Fridays. Businesses are on Tuesday and Fridays. Please have your trash at the curb by 8 a.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
· City Council meetings are held third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
· Trash service is provided by the county. West side of town on Tuesdays and East side of town on Fridays.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
· County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
· Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
· Bethel Mennonite Church is meeting at their facility located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their new facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their New Life Center located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· St. Joseph Catholic Church is meeting in their new Church building located at 820 S. Walnut. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their new facility located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their new facility at 321 S. Walnut. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· Greensburg Christian Church is meeting at their new building, 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the new church 611 W. Illinois St. each Sunday at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church meets in their new facility located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
· Wellsford Community Church is meeting at the church in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.
EQUIP/WHIP APLLICATION CUT OFF
Eric B. Banks, state conservationist for the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), announced that the application evaluation cutoff date will be November 15, 2010, for the Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) and Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP). These programs were authorized under the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008 (2008 Farm Bill).
"These two programs are very popular with producers in Kansas, and the NRCS wants to give producers time to get a conservation plan developed and get an application submitted in a timely manner," said Banks.
"I know fall crops will need to be harvested and everyone will be busy. Setting the cutoff date now, should allow producers to get a plan and sign an application.
"Stop by the NRCS office at your first opportunity and get the process started," said Banks.
Applications may be submitted anytime; however, applications submitted by the November 15th cutoff date will be evaluated for Fiscal Year 2011 funding.
Apply at Local NRCS Office Landowners and/or operators with eligible cropland, rangeland, or forestland with any EQIP/WHIP natural resource concerns should apply at their local NRCS field office and work with them on a conservation plan. The office is located at your local U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Service Center (listed in the telephone book under United States Government or on the Internet at offices.usda.gov).
Socially Disadvantaged, Limited Resource, and Beginning Farmers and Ranchers "EQIP and WHIP are available to help address the unique circumstances and concerns of socially disadvantaged, limited resource, and beginning farmers and ranchers, who have natural resource concerns that need to be addressed on their land," said Banks.
Producers in Kansas who qualify as socially disadvantaged, limited resource, and beginning farmers and ranchers will be ranked in a separate ranking pool.
Organic EQIP is available for treating natural resource concerns on organic systems. Organic producers, or those transitioning to organic, may apply for the EQIP to address their natural resource concerns during this period.
As information becomes available, it will be placed on the Kansas NRCS Web site ww.ks.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/eqip/ and www.ks.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/whip or be available at your local USDA Service Center from the NRCS or conservation district staff. USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.