Kiowa County / Greensburg 1-31-08 to 2-3-08
Public Information Update
Thursday, January 31, 2008 – Sunday, February 3, 2008
The American Cancer Society will once again be selling daffodils during "Daffodil Days". Remember your family member, friend, or maybe yourself this year in the fight against cancer, and order daffodils to help in the fight against this disease. Please have your orders called in by February 20th. Delivery date will be announced at a later date, but will be between March 6th and 10th. The pick-up location will be Peoples Insurance at 120 W. Kansas Ave. in Greensburg. Please call one of the following numbers to place your order. Thank you for supporting the American Cancer Society.
· Johnita Nystrom at 620-324-5323 or 620-635-5454
· Sharon Schmidt at 620-770-0786
· Peoples Insurance (Sharon or Jeanine) at 620-723-2809
HELP NAME THE INDUSTRIAL PARK
Torsten Energy LLC would like input from the citizens of Kiowa County on naming the new industrial park to be located on the Northeast side of Greensburg. The Board of Directors would like to choose from a list of 10 names and logos. They would like to have all suggestions received by March 1st. Send your name or logo by e-mail to Patrick Stein at email@example.com .
THE SALVATION ARMY
The Salvation Army is now located in Haviland at the Barclay College Library, continuing to distribute vouchers to those who have Relief Stage funds available. Long Term Recovery Stage funds are available, through an application process, to qualifying clients who were homeowners at the time of the May 4th-5th storms and whose home was destroyed in the tornado. Contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
Wichita Area Builders Association (WABA) has a program for homeowners who are building within the city limits of Greensburg. They have asked The Salvation Army to locate families who have a contract with a building contractor to build their home, which will come to no more than $120,000 and who would not qualify for a loan without the $5000 being made available through WABA. If you or someone you know falls within these guidelines please contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
· All contractors must register at City Hall between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays. Contract work is prohibited without registration and/or license. Contractors are responsible for hauling jobsite debris and must plug any sewer lines.
· Building permit applications are available at the Building and Codes office on the square. Hours are 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday – Friday. Call 620-723-4109 for information about required documentation and information.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located directly west of the courthouse square.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
· North Landfill will only accept clean concrete. If the concrete has any metal or other debris mixed then it must go to the South Landfill.
HOUSE NEAR COMPLETION? READY TO MOVE IN?
Be sure to stop by city hall to have the utilities hooked up at your location. Office hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. Please call if you have questions. City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located directly west of the courthouse square.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays.
· Moving out of Keller Estates? Notify city hall so utilities can be shut off. Without notification, the City will continue to bill for water.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are Tuesday-Friday 11-4, Saturday 10-4, Sunday 1-4
· JOBS IN GREENSBURG: Greensburg residents are being considered for employment. Those interested can visit the KansasWorks office at 123 E. Wisconsin, FEMA trailer E, or by calling Amber or Christina at 620-723-2030 or 620-388-4993. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call 620-388-4952 or 620-672-8380 or 620-548-2249.
· First Christian Church is meeting at the SCKTRO Village at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the temporary Kiowa County Memorial Hospital each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located in the FEMA trailer E, located just southwest of the courthouse square. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. Please call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546 for more information.
· Contact U.S. Representative Jerry Moran for assistance with the federal government at 620-665-6138.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering several housing reconstruction assistance programs. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· Kansas Assisting Recovery Efforts (KARE) is a grant funded outreach project serving the counties of Kiowa, Edwards, Comanche, Pratt and Stafford. Call 785-313-6123 or 1-866-327-6578 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. For more information, call 620-862-5882 or stop by at 201 N. Main St., Haviland.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. Come sign-up for volunteer assistance with clean-up and repair or reconstruction. For more information, call 620-862-5422.
· Hudson Oil Company, H.B. Hudson, founder will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank to pick up the application.
NATURAL RESOURCE CONSERVATION DEADLINES APPROACHING
· The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has announced Friday, February 8, 2008, as the cutoff date for producers in a Quick Response Area (QRA) to submit Environmental Quality Incentives Program (EQIP) Ground and Surface Water Conservation (GSWC) applications to be considered for Fiscal Year (FY) 2008 funding.
· The Natural Resource Conservation Service (NRCS) has announced Friday, February 8, 2008 as the cutoff date for producers to submit Wildlife Habitat Incentives Program (WHIP) applications to be considered for Fiscal Year (FY) 2008 funding.
For more information contact the NRCS office at 620-723-2146 ext. 3.
HONOR GREENSBURG WOMEN
Zonta International is a professional international women’s club advancing the status of women worldwide. Each year in March the organization honors outstanding women in their communities. In the past, the Topeka Zonta Club has honored outstanding news anchors, state senators and representatives, directors of non-profit agencies, and others who have contributed so much to Topeka and the State of Kansas.
This year, Zonta Club of Topeka voted unanimously to honor the outstanding women of Greensburg. On March 12, 2008, Topeka Zontians will travel to Greensburg to recognize the outstanding efforts of Greensburg area women with a rose presentation and reception from 1 to 2:20 p.m.. To nominate an outstanding women pick up an application at the Kiowa County Health Department and the Kiowa County Extension Office.
· Curfew Hours remain in effect. For youth under 16 years of age, 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. For youth 16 – 18 years of age, 12 a.m. to 5 a.m.
· Treat ALL power lines as if they are live. Call 911 if you observe an arcing power line.
· Respiratory protection is recommended for all workers. Dust masks and safety glasses are available at the Health Department on the square.
· Burning is prohibited in the Greensburg city limits. In rural areas, follow county ordinances. Burning is strongly discouraged in high winds.
· Protect yourself with gloves, hard-soled shoes or boots. If you have a cut or scratch that does not heal normally, seek necessary medical attention.