Public Information Update
Monday, July 28, 2008 – Sunday, August 3, 2008
HISTORY OF RODEO COMES TO GREENSBURG
The Rodeo Clown Reunion that will be in Dodge City for Dodge City Days will make a trip to Greensburg on Friday, August 1st. At 10 a.m. the clowns ranging in age from 50 to 99 will be at the Triangle Rodeo Grounds to present the Kiowa County Library with the books they have collected in a Book Drive. They will also sign autographs.
Come out and meet:
· ‘Toad’ Cook - a rodeo clown from 1970 to 1983. ‘Toad’ originates from Big Rapids, Michigan and has faught bulls from coast to coast and in Canada.
· Dixie Reger Mosley – the only woman bull fighter. Dixie hales from Amarillo, Texas and performed for 13 years. She was instrumental in the development of the Women’s Professional Rodeo Association. Dixie began her rodeo career at 5 ½ years of age and is now a member of the National Cowgirl Hall of Fame and the Rodeo Historical Society Hall of Fame.
· Wayne Cornish from Enid, Oklahoma also got an early start to his rodeo career at the age of 8 or 9. He performed for some 22 years as a barrelman and Roman rider. He was the barrelman in the 1960s television series, Stoney Burke, about a rodeo cowboy. Wayne’s barrel is in the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City.
Residents of Kiowa County are invited to attend a “Meet the Candidate” forum night to be held at the Greenleaf Ranch on Tuesday, July 29th at 7:00 p.m. Come hear what the candidates have to say and visit over cake and ice cream. Please bring your own lawn chairs to the event.
PLANET GREEN NOW AVAILABLE ON GREENSBURG CABLE
Allegiance Communications and Discovery Communications are pleased to announce that Planet Green is now available on the Allegiance Basic Cable system in Greensburg.
Planet Green is now available on channel 59. Planet Green will remain on the expanded lineup until Allegiance completes construction of its new, all digital platform service throughout the Greensburg Community.
Residents who do not currently subscribe to the cable system may call 1-800-937-1397 for information about cable, internet and telephone service.
The Greensburg Community Blood Drive sponsored by the American Red Cross will be held on Friday, Aug. 1st from 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The blood drive will be held at the Bethel Mennonite Church located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the Highway 183/54 interchange.
YOUTH FOR CHRIST GROUND BREAKING
Everyone is invited to attend the Youth for Christ Teen Center Ground Breaking will be held on Sunday, August 10th at 2:00 p.m.
The new location of the Teen Center will be adjacent to the GHS parking lot (between parking lot and tennis courts).
KIOWA COUNTY GREENLIGHT NEWSLETTER
Beginning August 4th, each household in Kiowa County will receive a new weekly County-wide newsletter titled the "Kiowa County Greenlight". The newsletter will provide timely information as well as spotlight events, businesses and green living.
The newsletter will be published by Greenlight Printing, owned by Rebecca and Joe Kilduff, a new print shop that is moving to Kiowa County. The print shop is planning to be housed in the Business Incubator in Greensburg as soon as it is completed.
To submit information to the Kiowa County Greenlight Newsletter, please e-mail the information to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Rebecca at
620-770-9948. All information must be submitted by noon on
Tuesday as the newsletter will be printed on Wednesday.
Businesses wishing to support and advertise in the newsletter may also call 620-770-9948. Remember that the Kiowa County Greenlight Newsletter will go into every mailbox in Kiowa County weekly.
KANSASWORKS JOB OPPORTUNITIES
The KansasWorks office is located at 333 E. Kansas Ave. Stop by to pick up an employment application or by calling Amber or Christina at 620-723-2030. Hours are Monday –Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Health benefits are provided.
FARMERS MARKET EACH SATURDAY
Tell your friends and neighbors about the Market! Come on down to Davis Park on Saturday from 9 – 11 a.m.!
If you have something to sell, please contact Kiowa County Extension Agent Pam Muntz at 723-2156. For a list of items that can and cannot be sold at the Farmer’s Market, call Pam.
Vendors are responsible for bringing their own display tables and collecting their own sales tax. Each seller agrees to pay 10% of their day’s sales as their fee for doing business at the Market.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
· County Offices are located on the square. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· Court Services and County Attorney are located in the beige trailers located to the north of the courthouse. Hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
· County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer located at 219 S. Oak.
· South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill is now charging $3.50 per cubic yard for debris.
COURTHOUSE STORM SHELTER
As of July 7th, the Kiowa County Courthouse will no longer be available as a storm shelter due to remodel construction. Reconstruction is anticipated to be completed by June 2009.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
· City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
· City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751. The City website is www.greensburgks.org. Check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
· City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. Council work sessions will be held on the Wednesday prior to Council meetings. The meetings and work sessions will begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held Wednesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Meeting trailer, located at 219 S. Oak.
· Greensburg Trash Routes are running. North/South streets are picked up on Mondays and East/West streets are picked up on Fridays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
· Big Well Gift Shop hours are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
UNITED STATES POSTAL SERVICE
· All mail for Greensburg City Delivery addresses is currently delivered through external boxes located at the Post Office, 139 N. Main St. When moving to an address served by the Greensburg Post Office, please notify the Post Office of your current address and obtain a key to your assigned box.
· CUSTOMERS MOVING TO NEW ADDRESSES: Please notify the Greensburg Post Office when moving. New addresses must be entered into the Address Management database in order to be recognized by the United States Postal Service. It is imperative that new addresses be recorded, as any mail for addresses not entered into the database can only be held for a maximum of ten days, after which time all mail will be returned to the sender with the endorsement: "Address Not Known". (DMM 1.2, 1.4)
· CUSTOMERS RETURNING TO EXISTING ADDRESSES: Please notify the Greensburg Post Office when you have returned to your former address.
· CUSTOMERS MOVING TO THE PRAIRIE POINTE AND OAKVIEW TOWN HOMES: Please notify the Post Office of your move. Because these addresses are assigned to specific mailbox units, it will be necessary for those already receiving mail through the local Post Office to turn in the keys to any current mailboxes, and obtain the appropriate mailbox keys.
· PRIOR POST OFFICE BOX CUSTOMERS: The Postal Service's AMS Database will begin to reject ALL Post Office Box addresses in the near future. All customers who have received mail via a Post Office Box are required to submit a change of address to a physical address as soon as possible. NO Post Office Box numbers may be retained after July 01, 2008.
· RURAL DELIVERY: Customers who meet delivery guidelines for rural delivery will be required to install a mailbox for receipt of mail at their physical address. Rural Route customers who do not meet delivery guidelines will be provided a free external mailbox at the Post Office. There are no plans at this time to re-introduce at-home delivery.
· No information is available as to future plans for a local Post Office facility.
· The United States Postal Service will continue to have a presence in the Greensburg community.
· For further assistance, please call Postmaster Randy Kelley at: (620)723-2341
· Lighthouse Worship Center is meeting in their temporary facility located at 804 W. Wisconsin. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m.
· First United Methodist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 600 W. Lincoln. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:30 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns
· Catholic Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at 215 W. Morton at 10:45 a.m.
· First Baptist Church is meeting in their temporary facility located at Kyle’s farm ½ mile east, ½ mile north and ¼ mile east of Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m.
· Peace Lutheran Church is meeting in their temporary trailer at 321 S. Walnut at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
· First Christian Church is meeting at the SCKTRO Village at 10:30 a.m.
· Faith Tabernacle is meeting at the Greensburg Family Practice temporary facility each Sunday at 10 a.m.
· Greensburg Mennonite Church is meeting at the Mullinville High School Auditorium at 10 a.m.
· Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information call Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
· USDA Rural Development – Greensburg office is located located at 122 E. Illinois. Office hours are 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. Monday – Friday, night appointments upon request. For more information, call 785-628-3081 ext. 4 or 1-800-338-5546.
· Salvation Army is located in the Barclay College Library. Office hours are 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday. Contact Deb Folkerts at 620-388-4684.
· Kansas Housing Resources Corporation is offering several housing reconstruction assistance programs. Call 785-296-5865 or log on to www.kshousingcorp.org.
· South Central Kansas Tornado Recovery Organization is providing repair and rebuilding assistance, volunteer labor, donated goods and spiritual and psychological referrals for individuals and families. Our main office is 201 N. Main, Haviland Kansas. The phone number is 620-862-5882. Our field office is at 615 Illinois in Greensburg; the phone number is 620-723-3155.
· United Methodist Recovery Center is located at 322 N. Main in Haviland. Hours are Monday through Friday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. For more information, call 620-862-5422.
· Hudson Oil Company will provide every family rebuilding or remodeling within the city limits of Greensburg $700. See Tom Corns at the Greensburg State Bank for an application.
· Habitat for Humanity has a Greensburg office located in FEMA trailer B, located SW of the courthouse square. Appointments are available on Wednesdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Contact Marci Hawks at 316-269-0755 or 316-619-2227.