Public Information Update
Sunday, May 20 – Saturday, May 26, 2012
MEDIA CENTER OFFICES CLOSED
The Media Center will be closed May 21-May 25 for HDTV Production
Trailer demonstrations at Kansas State University and in Topeka for
the Kansas National Guard.
BABYSITTING CLINIC SCHEDULED
The Kiowa County Extension Office in collaboration with the Kiowa
County Health Department has scheduled the 2012 Babysitting Clinic for
May 24th from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons, 320 S.
Main St., Greensburg. The clinic is open to all 5th and 6th grade
youth in Kiowa County.
A $10 fee will cover the materials for the clinic. Call the Extension
Office, 620-723-2156, to register by May 18th!
CUSTOMER APPRECIATION DAYS
* The Peoples Bank will have a Customer Appreciation Picnic on May
24th. They will be serving hot dogs from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in
their parking lot. Everyone is welcome!
* The Kwik Shop will host a Customer Appreciation Day on May 26th from
11a.m. to 1 p.m. Hot Dogs, small Chips, can of Soda and Cookie for
$1.50. Additional hot dogs for $1. They will also be giving away
THE MEDIA CENTER PRESENTS
“Greensburg Reborn”, a short original video by Grant Neuhold, Media
Center Programming Producer, will be shown in the Common’s Conference
Room on May 26th beginning at 11:00a.m. and running on the half hour
until 4:00p.m. Open to the public at no charge.
MEMORIAL DAY PARADE
The Memorial Day Parade is scheduled for Saturday, May 26th at 10:00
a.m. To register an entry call Suzanne Titus at 620-428-1153 or
Lorena Lothman at 620-242-5245. (These are the CORRECTED phone numbers
from last week!)
*The Media Center will stream the Rodeo Parade on May 26th from
10-11am on kwksmedia.org. The broadcast will include business owners,
speakers and parade announcements from the MC Stage!
The Media Center will produce a highlights video of Memorial weekend
events including the Reunion Picnic and Banquet, Rodeo and Parade, Big
Well Grand Opening, and Arts and Crafts Fair. Please contact Grant at
email@example.com to pre-order.
A TRADITION RETURNS – THE ARTS AND CRAFTS FAIR IS BACK
The 2012 Kiowa County Arts and Crafts Fair will be held on Saturday,
May 26th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., downtown main street, Greensburg.
Come check out the arts, crafts, food and fun while enjoying your
friends and family!
The Kiowa County Chamber of Commerce will host a forum with Kansas
State Senator Ruth Teichman and State Representative Kyle Hoffman at 9
a.m. on Sunday, May 27th at the 5.4.7 Arts Center in Greensburg.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
The Bethel Mennonite Church will be hosting a Vacation Bible School
program for all children Kindergarten through 8th grade. The VBS
program is scheduled for Tuesday, May 29th through Saturday, June 2nd
from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Transportation is available. Please call Lee
and Karen Dirks at 620-723-2050 to register or line up transportation.
Join the Kiowa County Health Dept. June 4 at the following locations
from 5-6pm for weigh-in:
1. Home Again at Haviland
2. Health Dept. at Greensburg
3. Kiowa Supply at Mullinville
If you cannot make these locations or times, you can always come to
the Health Dept. to weigh-in that first week to get started. There
will be a $5 sign up fee. All proceeds will go to the Kiowa County
There will be 5 categories:
15-20 year olds
20-50 year old Females
20-50 year old Males
50 & Up Females
50 & Up Males
The Twilight Theatre has 2013 Greensburg: Preserving the Future
Calendars for $15 donation and Greensburg Journals for $5 donation.
Both are available at the “Where’d Ya Find That” Antiques, 148 S. Main
St. Greensburg. All proceeds will benefit the theatre construction.
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
• City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7
p.m. in the community room.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
• All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the
latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
• County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
• County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and
the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s
Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
• South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The
landfill charges $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic
yard for concrete.
• Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st
and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
• City Council meetings are held the first and third Monday of the
month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
• City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
• City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city
services, photos, news and the latest information.
• City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month.
The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
• Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a
fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109
for the next date.
• Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on
Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
• Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the
2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd
Wednesday of the month.
• Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.,
Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is
• Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of
the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday school begins at 10 a.m.
Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m.
Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
• Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday
school begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more
information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
• Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg.
Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for
• First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg.
Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin
George at 723-2747.
• First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln,
Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m.
Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
• Friends Church is located at 205 N. Kingman, Haviland. Sunday
School and Adult classes 9:30am; Congregational Worship 10:30am;
Wednesday 5:30pm Community meal; 6pm Faith Weaver Friends (K-5), Jr.
High Youth Group; 8pm High School Youth Group
• Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service
begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at
• Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania.
Sunday school begins at 9:30, age’s nursery to senior adults. Worship
begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for
• Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin,
Greensburg. Sunday school starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s
Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m.
LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage.
Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
• Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust.
Sunday school begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A
Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday
evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more
• Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg.
Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn
• St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg.
Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30
p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is
at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life
Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
• Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins
at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
• The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets on the third Tuesday of each
month at 3 pm at the Senior Center (431 S. Main) in Greensburg.
• The Kiowa County Historical Society meetings are held on the 4th
Thursdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons
• The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are
held on the 1st Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Media Center located in the
Commons Building. Please contact Jan West at 723-1117 for more
• The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month
at 4:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Commons Conference room or on the
following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
• The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third
Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please
call 723-2272 for more information.