Kiowa County / Greensburg May 13 - 19, 2012
Public Information Update
Sunday, May 13 – Saturday, May 19, 2012
BABYSITTING CLINIC SCHEDULED
The Kiowa County Extension Office in collaboration with the Kiowa County Health Department has scheduled the 2012 Babysitting Clinic for May 24th from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons, 320 S. Main St., Greensburg. The clinic is open to all 5th and 6th grade youth in Kiowa County.
A $10 fee will cover the materials for the clinic. Call the Extension Office, 620-723-2156, to register by May 18th!
CUSTOMER APPRECIATION DAYS
* The Peoples Bank will have a Customer Appreciation Picnic on May 24th. They will be serving hot dogs from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in their parking lots. Everyone is welcome!
* The Kwik Shop will host a Customer Appreciation Day on May 26th from 11a.m. to 1 p.m. Hot Dogs, Chips, Soda, and Cookie for $1.50. An additional hot dog for $1. Also giving away gift cards.
The next Kiowa County Local Emergency Preparedness Committee will be May 15th at 5:00 p.m. at the Community Center at the Kiowa County Fairgrounds, 720 N. Bay St., Greensburg. Everyone is welcome!
The Twilight Theatre has 2013 Greensburg: Preserving the Future Calendars for $15 donation and Greensburg Journals for $5 donation. Both are available at the “Where”d Ya Find That” Antiques, 148 S. Main St. Greensburg. All proceeds will benefit the theatre construction.
MEMORIAL DAY PARADE
The Memorial Day Parade is scheduled for Saturday, May 26th at 10:00 a.m. To register an entry call Suzanne Titus at 620-428-5245.
VACATION BIBLE SCHOOL
The Bethel Mennonite Church will be hosting a Vacation Bible School program for all children Kindergarten through 8th grade. The VBS program is scheduled for Tuesday, May 29th through Saturday, June 2nd from 8:30 – 11:30 a.m. Transportation is available. Please call Lee and Karen Dirks at 620-723-2050 to register or line up transportation.
A TRADITION RETURNS – THE ARTS AND CRAFTS FAIR IS BACK
The 2012 Kiowa County Arts and Crafts Fair will be held on Saturday, May 26th from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., downtown main street, Greensburg.
To register a booth, contact
Come check out the arts, crafts, food and fun while enjoying your friends and family!
The Kiowa County Chamber of Commerce will host a forum with Kansas State Senator Ruth Teichman and State Representative Kyle Hoffman at 9 a.m. on Sunday, May 27th at the 5.4.7 Arts Center in Greensburg
HAVILAND CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• City Hall phone number is 620-862-5317. Please call if you have questions.
• City Council meetings are held the first Monday of the month. At 7 p.m. in the community room.
KIOWA COUNTY GOVERNMENT
• All Office’s Hours: Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
• County website: kiowacountyks.org Check out the website for the latest information including County Commission meeting minutes.
• County Offices are located on the square, 211 E. Florida Ave., Greensburg.
• County Commission meetings are held on the 1st and 3rd Mondays and the last working day of the month at 9:00 a.m. in the Commissioner’s Meeting Room located on the lower level of the courthouse.
• South Landfill hours are Monday – Saturday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The landfill charges $5.00 per cubic yard for C/D and $20.00 per cubic yard for concrete.
• Recycle Center hours are Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and 1st and 3rd Saturday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
MULLINVILLE CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall hours are Monday – Friday 7 to 8 a.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
• City Hall phone number is 620-548-2539. Please call if you have questions.
• City Council meetings are held the first and third Monday of the month at 7 p.m. in City hall.
GREENSBURG CITY GOVERNMENT
• City Hall Hours are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday - Friday.
• City Hall Phone Number is 620-723-2751.
• City website is www.greensburgks.org check out the website for city services, photos, news and the latest information.
• City Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Mondays of the month. The meetings begin at 6:00 p.m. and will be held at City Hall.
• Greensburg Planning Commission meetings are held on Wednesdays on a fluctuating schedule at 6:30 p.m. Check with Christy at 620-723-4109 for the next date.
• Greensburg Trash Routes are running for the entire city on Wednesdays. Trash must be out by 8 a.m. or it will not be picked up.
• Greensburg Recycle Routes are running for East/West streets on the 2nd Wednesday of the month and for North/South streets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.
• Big Well Gift Shop hours are Monday – Saturday 9 a.m. – 5 p.m., Sundays 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. The phone number for the gift shop is 620-723-4102.
• Bethel Mennonite Church is located 3 miles south and 1 mile west of the highway 183/54 interchange. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. Morning worship starts at 11 a.m. Evening worship begins at 7 p.m. Contact Mark Dirks at 620-723-2941 for more information.
• Bible Baptist Church is meeting at 605 S. Elm Dr, Greensburg. Sunday School begins at 10 a.m. and Church begins at 11 a.m. For more information, Wesley Carlton at 620-723-2834.
• Faith Tabernacle is located at 611 W. Illinois St., Greensburg. Service begins at 10 a.m. Call Rev. Willard Olinger at 723-2745 for more details.
• First Baptist Church is located at 200 W. Kansas, Greensburg. Church begins at 10:50 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Marvin George at 723-2747.
• First United Methodist Church is located at 600 W. Lincoln, Greensburg. Worship at 9:30 a.m. and Sunday School at 10:45 a.m. Contact Pastor Mayhew at 620-723-3338 with questions or concerns.
• Friends Church is located at 205 N. Kingman, Haviland. Sunday School and Adult classes 9:30am; Congregational Worship 10:30am; Wednesday 5:30pm Community meal; 6pm Faith Weaver Friends (K-5), Jr. High Youth Group; 8pm High School Youth Group
• Greensburg Christian Church is located at 1210 S. Main St. Service begins at 10:30 a.m. Call T.J. Lawson for more information at 620-770-6026.
• Greensburg Mennonite Church is located at 310 West Pennsylvania. Sunday School begins at 9:30, ages nursery to senior adults. Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Call Pastor Jeff Blackburn at 620-723-2620 for more information.
• Lighthouse Worship Center is located at 804 W. Wisconsin, Greensburg. Sunday School starts at 9:30 a.m. Worship and Children’s Church starts at 10:45 a.m. Wednesday Bible Study begins at 7 p.m. LWC youth group on Sunday nights from 6:00 - 7:00 at the parsonage. Contact Pastor Christa Zapfe at 620-723-3028 for more information.
• Mullinville United Methodist Church is located at 220 N. Locust. Sunday School begins at 9:45 a.m., Worship Service at 11 a.m. A Fellowship Meal is held every 2nd Sunday. Youth Group is Sunday evening from 6:30 – 8 p.m. Call Pastor Scott rose for more information.
• Peace Lutheran Church is located at 321 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Worship begins at 11 a.m. For more information, call Pastor Merlyn Lohkre, 620-298-2762.
• St. Joseph Catholic Church is located at 820 S. Walnut, Greensburg. Services are held on the first and third weekends of the month at 5:30 p.m. on Saturday evening. On the 2nd, 4th, and 5th weekends, Mass is at 11:00 a.m. on Sunday mornings. Contact Ellen Peters, Parish Life Coordinator at 620-255-3636 with questions and concerns.
• Wellsford Community Church is located in Wellsford. Service begins at 11 a.m. with Pastor Steve Patterson presiding.
NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION MEETINGS
• The Kiowa County Council on Aging meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 3 pm at the Senior Center (431 S. Main) in Greensburg.
• The Kiowa County Historical Society meetings are held on the 4th Thursdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at the Kiowa County Commons Conference Room.
• The Kiowa County Kansas Media Center Foundation board meetings are held on the 1st Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Media Center, located in the Commons Building. Please contact Jan West at 723-1117 for more information.
• The Kiowa County Library board meets the first Monday of each month at 4:30 p.m. in the Kiowa County Commons Conference room or on the following Tuesday if the first Monday is a county holiday.
• The Iroquois Center for Human Development board meets the third Tuesday of each month at 6 pm in their office (610 E. Grant). Please call 723-2272 for more information.